Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

starman1969

Clear skies in northern UK again tonight !!!!

That may apply to the rest of the country as well. I've just watched the late afternoon clouds magically disappear again, just like last night.

Get your scopes, bins & cameras out. I certainly will.

Already done two hours ago, screen came off the window and the wind is cooling everything down, have a great evening all :).

Jim

Maybe I spoke too soon, after a day of sun I now see that my sky is split by a cloud, it's heading south west so should have a full sky by dark, fingers and everything else crossed.

Edited by The Sailor
  • Like 1

That may apply to the rest of the country as well. I've just watched the late afternoon clouds magically disappear again, just like last night.

Get your scopes, bins & cameras out. I certainly will.

Scope is still outside from last night, so should be cool by now! Yes the cloud seems to clearing away nicely too.

No such luck here, the cloud looks fairly solid, but TBH I wasn't expecting it to clear.

We need a good bit of rain to wash the dust and clag out of the air, it just scatters the LP back.

Having a visual night tonight me thinks. Imaging M51 and M87 last night. I may look at the galaxies in Virgo, Leo and Coma Berenices later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the forecast it's supposed to be clear here, too, but you can guess the actual situation, can't you?

James

Well as expected the clouds did roll off to the SW and clear skies all around but after three hours I have had to give up due to the strength of the wind, chucking the scope all over the place so maybe another night :) .

Jim

Clear and wind calm / light air. My weather station says unsettled with rain later. I will have to keep an eye on that as long as it stays away for at least another 3 hours I will be happy...

Wind sent me in too after 3 hours. Was A grab and go session anyway because I don't get my dob or on windy nights but still a very rewarding one :)

I visited my dark sky site until midnight and there was no cloud at all. Stunning skies we don't often get here.

4th night of clear skies on the trot here in south Cumbria. Got the comet in the C8 last night and got the missus to take look she say 'was the best thing she's seen yet' it really was very pretty. Passing neighbours enjoyed it too, so did my outreach bit. Also M31 and 2011 L4 together in the bins, a memorable sight which I'll keep for a long time.

All in all a great night. seeing was pretty good, so tried the webcam on Jupiter early on, then the comet for a while and was out until 1am wandering through the Leo galaxies itiniery from SON mag, a whole bunch of meteors (including a very bright one around midnight, north to south)...plus a little bit of Algieba which always makes me smile.

Also smiling because I seem to have been struggling with collimation on my C8 since i got it last year, but with decent seeing later on I seem to have got it nailed and really enjoyed some good sharp stars...a relief as my I was starting to wonder if going back to a big newt might have been a better bet. Best of all, its a holiday week, so no work today!

Like many correspondents, i was startign to get a bit jaded, but nights like this make the investment in kit and time all worth while.

Might be OK tonight as well!

ian

I thought Panstarrs came of age last night for me, because its the first time I've seen it in a dark sky.

As soon as I saw it in my bins there was no doubt it was a comet. The first comet I have ever knowingly seen. So glad I made the trip to a dark sky. Just one downer, I spotted no meteors. Maybe I missed some with my fumbling around with my equipment.

Here is my image of the comet and M31

post-15011-13650712334_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Snowing now in London

*sigh*

Had 4 nights on the trot here so making the most of it. would it be wrong to complain about being tired (JOKING). If it's clear again tonight I'm gonna leave the camera inside and concentrate on getting the laptop and mount on speaking terms.

Here is my image of the comet and M31

Great image; 2 galaxies and a comet, what were the settings for that shot?

Edited by nightvision

The last three nights have been clear here in Cheshire... as wonderful as it is it's causing me some serious sleep issues! If it's clear tonight I'll still be out though :)

Great image; 2 galaxies and a comet, what were the settings for that shot?

That was like a game of wheres wally! Is the second galaxy at about 2o'clock from the comet?

Matt

sort of snowing here now too. But c'mon 4 clear nights in a row at this time of year is a gift. I'm happy to sit in for a bit again if required. As it stands friday and saturday are both forecast clear here and those are the best kind of nights, the ones where you dont need to get up the following morning till late!

That was like a game of wheres wally! Is the second galaxy at about 2o'clock from the comet?

Matt

Did you mean 2 o'clock from the first galaxy?

James

Matt

Ahh! that makes 3 I think :smiley: , I meant 7 o'clock from the core of M31 .... which is M32

Just spotted M110 2 o'clock from M31 core, so that's 4 galaxies so far...

Just trying to work out what that one is at 2 o'clock from the comet, this is fun!...

Edited by nightvision

Brilliant sunshine and crystal clear skies here at the moment, moisture all locked up in small clouds but very windy.

post-11899-0-22226800-1365081334_thumb.j

Snowing at the moment down here in deepest darkest Somerset. What month was it again?

James