SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

mod a dob

sparkyjon

just thought i'd add a few of the mods i've done and will be doing as i go along ( probably going to be slow progress due to my broken ankle)

i knew about a few mods that help with the joy of owning a dob, as soon as i had my 200p a few of the local lads pointed me in the direction of the lazy susan mod, so i have bought everything i need for that and awaiting the build,

but while waiting i have added a few things,

a skywatcher auto focuser and a k-son rdf (telrad style) even takes a cut down telrad dew sheild.

looking good

next one was to add 4 x caster wheels two of them have brakes so it wont roll away when i take my eye of it.. very cheap and makes it so much easier to move around the garden and house.

rolling on

the next one is the fan mod, at present i have only added a 40mm 5v fan in the dust cap , just to help with the cool down time, some may say it's not needed but i think the cooler the better.

fan

the fan

these have really taken me minutes to do on each mod it's so easy and makes life easier (if it can get easier with a dob)

i also have a few more planned , the lazy susan will be done as soon as my gear arrives for it, i will document it, i have a 140mm 12v fan coming which i plan to install in the base so it cools the ota when in the upright position and doesn't effect the balance of the ota, and i will be flocking the inside as soon as i can get out there..

if anyone has any other mods that are useful and i have missed please let me know,

Interesting stuff. Modding dobs can be great fun !

Does the fan on the dust cap push or pull the air ?

I have a small fan behind the primary mirror of my 12" dob but I've not used it so far. The scope seems to cool OK left to it's own devices.

It blows air down the ota on to the secondary so cold air down the ota. Its all removable nothing is permanent. I can see why some may say its not needed but i had it spare so thought id use it.. Summer is coming and i store mine indoors.

wow these mods make a really big difference i've done the lazy susan mod and built the fans in ,although i'm taking the smaller one out, i will add pics of the fan mod and lazy susan mod when i get 5 minutes, time to flock it now..

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have done similar mods on my SW 10"

post-35125-0-37966900-1391631034.jpg

first the fan, on a template

post-35125-0-37319400-1391631063.jpg

Template cut out on some cheap plywood and spraypainted.

post-35125-0-15407900-1391631099.jpg

installed and ready to go, attached the cord to a variable

4-12V adapter.

post-35125-0-97155500-1391631158.jpg

then added a LZ bearing, with setting circle

post-35125-0-39265000-1391631193.jpg

and finally a simple digital inclinometer

added a telrad, new springs, flocked the scope and flattened

the focuser tube.

Works great !

I am just in the process of removing a lazy Susan bearing from my 300p, and suggest you don't add one to your 200p if you haven't already done so! The 200p is quite light and runs well on three Teflon furniture sliders used instead of the white Teflon rectangles crudely stapled in place by SW. If you fit a setting circle you might still want the lazy Susan as the centre bearing, not to support the top part of the mount but just to centre the rotation and avoid the errors introduced by the bolt slop (see http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/205732-my-sw-skyliner-200p-additions-and-modifications/)

Archived