sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

After such a long wait.... two nights in a row. This time I had just over an hour and a half.

I started my evening in Monoceros by locating NGC 2264, the Christmas Tree cluster. I was unable to see any hint of nebulosity but the cluster is attractive none the less. The sky looked reasonably transparent so I turned slightly to the South to look at the Rosette cluster NGC 2244. Out came the 8mm eyepiece with the UHC-s filter in hope to see a little more but to start with I could only see the stars of the cluster. After a minute or so, I started to sweep across the whole area and began to notice that the centre was darker than its surrounding. The milky radiance of NGC 2237 (Caldwell 49, the Rosette Nebula) was most noticable beyond the stars HD46106 and HD46149 (to the North...ish) but could be detected all around the cluster and the darker centre. The outer edge of the nebula's halo was impossible to discern however, due to its more gradual dimming. I was stunned that I managed to pick anything up at all.

My next target was the second brightest planetary nebula in Gemini, (NGC 2371 and NGC 2372). The area was reasonably easy to find but the nebula did not come through until I had the filtered 8mm eyepiece trained on it. Initially I could just detect a condensed fuzz but as I stared at it, I seemed to detect a figure of eight shape to it with averted vision.

I then turned my attention to Leo. A pair of galaxies equidistant between Zeta and Gamma Leonis with an asterism as a clear marker. They looked quite similar to eachother in the same 8mm eyepiece field of view and were moderately difficult to see. NGC 3190 was slightly easier to view than NGC 3193, as the latter was very close to a ninth magnitude star which added a minor distraction to its observation.

My final target was NGC 4214 in Canes Venatici. This was very tough, despite its recorded magnitude of just 9.8. Beyond 6 Canes Venaticorum lies the diffuse ellipse of NGC 4244 and beyond that with ever fewer and feinter marker stars was a quite large circular ghostly glow of the target galaxy.

By this time the cold had set in and so I called it a night. Very happy with my new finds, both tonight and yesterday.

Observing Session: Tuesday 2nd April 2013, 20:50 hrs to 22:25 hrs BST

VLM at Zenith: 5.2

New - Revisited - Failed

Edited by Double Kick Drum

Well done on the Rosette nebula DKD, I need to get me a UHC and have a look for it - if I can get organised before it disappears...

A good set of other finds too - thanks :)

It's feeling a bit like christmas the last coupe of days isn't it :D

Great report. The Rosette really benefits from a dark site, I find. Very hazy. The dust lanes within it can be the most prominent feature in my SCT (which is really too narrow-field for the Rosette).

Yes, my scope is a comparatively wide-field piece of kit but it took the 8mm eyepiece to get enough contrast to see it. Odd, given the size of the Rosette, you'd have thought a larger eyepiece would do the trick.

It would be lovely to see it in truly inky black skies to see a little structure.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Star101
      Work in progress
      Started this Saturday night. I love these galaxies and been wanting to image them a long time. 
      So far, only 30 x 60s L and 10 x 60s RGB. 
      C11 with focal reducer (1760mm), ASI183mm Pro. Astrodon filters. Mesu 200. Pixinsight.
      Thanks for looking
      Dave

• By Wiu-Wiu
      Before the grey nights set in, I wanted to get some more sketching done. 
      The 10" ACF and I went to a fairly dark spot in the Netherlands, for some 4 hours of observing and sketching. 

The results:

• By Hallingskies
      70 x 300s H-alpha, 16 x RG&B, 300s each, no darks (hot pixel removal in Astroart instead).
      Subframes were stacked in Astroart, the outputs converted to TIF files and then colour-composited in PaintShop Pro.
      The colour data was a bit of a pig to process with the software I have.  First of all it became apparent that 300 second subs probably weren't long enough. I had to stretch the resultant stacks quite a way to get any decent detail, which introduced more noise than I really wanted. Then the blue colour stack turned out to be a slightly different size to the others, despite all being full frame without any need to resize. I always refocus between filter changes as the colour correction on my old Vixen 114 ED refractor is not brilliant, so I guess this was the cause, particularly on the blue channel.  This made it difficult to stack the images for colour composition.  I did my best to manually rotate and resize in PaintShop, but the stars still show some odd haloes where the channels didn't quite line up.
      I made two colour images, one created by the addition of green and blue channels (20 x 300s subframes for each) to the H-alpha image above, which was used as the red channel for an RGB composite. This was a rather violent red, as anticipated, so I blended it with an HaRGB stack, which was the usual washed-out pink.  The blend gave a reasonable depth of colour. The blue brilliance of the brighter stars in the cluster has led to some reflection flaring around them. I find the effect quite pleasing, however.
      The “Fox Fur Nebula” (Sharpless 273) can be seen below S Monocerotis in the above image. Its resemblance to road-kill is quite remarkable, even in this modest image. The bluish area arises from the reflection of starlight from dust in the region.  Some images show this reflection nebulosity to be much more extensive than seen here, probably because I did not compensate for the poorer blue sensitivity of the CCD with longer blue subs.
      The Christmas Tree Cluster is visible to the naked eye in good conditions and appears quite striking in binoculars. The stars forming the Christmas tree shape, along with dozens of other tiny bright stars within the cluster, are a magical sight as seen in my VC200L with a 25mm eyepiece. None of the associated nebulosity is visible however, at least, not to me.
    • By gorann
      This image may compete for being one of the worst framings ever.
      It is an RGB image that I processed from free data from the Liverpool Telescope, a 2 m RC reflector on La Palma. This time with quite a lot of data, so not much noise and a lot of detail. The "only" problem is that the astronomers requesting the subs must only have cared about NGC 3187 and the beautiful NGC 3190 just happened to be partly included.
      Found this nice info about these galaxes on the Canary Islands Astronomical Institute www.iac.es:
      Discovered by Sir William Herschel in 1784, NGC 3190 and NGC 3187 are two spiral galaxies seen nearly edge-on. The spiral arms of NGC 3190 are tightly wrapped around its nucleus, and those of NGC 3187 are S-shaped. Both galaxies are located in the constellation Leo and are members of the Hickson 44 galaxy group, located about 70 million light years from Earth. The galaxies in this group are very close to each other so that gravitational interactions are common, resulting in a high degree of shape distortion and a high rate of star formation in many cases. This gravitational dance will eventually end up in many galaxy mergers.
      Filters and exposures used (from 2015 01 21 - 2016 04 26).
      sdss-r 40 x 90 s (red channel)
      Bessell V 23 x 90 s (green channel)
      Bessell B + sdss-g 53 x 90 s (blue channel)
      Cheers

• By gnomus
      Hickson Compact Groups (HCGs) are small, isolated system of four or more galaxies in close proximity to one another.  The magnitudes of the galaxies differ by less than 3.0.  Hickson identified 100 such compact groups.    
      One is HGC 44 in Leo, sometimes known as the NGC 3190 Group. with members: NGC 3190; 3185; 3187; NGC 3193. 
      This is data from DSW in new Mexico.  Takahashi FSQ 106; Paramount MyT; WSI 683 with Astrodon LRGB filters.
      Lum: 16x900s Red: 17x900s Green: 14x900s Blue: 16x900s Total: 15 hours 45 minutes.
      Processing in PI and PS.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.