Red filters for double stars - quality worth it?

Moonshane

Hi all

I have read a few times recently that red filters allow the reduction of atmospheric effects when observing planets, moon and doubles. I am particularly interested in the latter as seeing often affects the ability to split double stars and I'd like to improve this if possible.

There are three red filters (light red, red and deep red) and I presume that the deeper the red, the better the reduction in poor seeing? But I further assume that the darker the filter, the larger the aperture required to see the fainter targets?

I was therefore thinking of the middle ground and getting a #25 Red filter. I normally buy decent quality filters and in 2" if possible and wondered if there's any benefit to buying one of the two apparent options Lumicon and Baader which are both about £35 for the 2" filter. I can get a cheapie Antares 1.25" for £6 from SNS. Is it worth getting the better quality filter in this case? (ignoring the convenience of the 2" filters for a moment).

cheers

Shane

It's just the engineering involve though. As far as I know the colour filters are all very simple in their contstruction. If you were going for a specific narrow band pass filter or something I'd obviously side with you on getting the best you can afford. Not colour filters though in my opinion, this is the sort of thing you get the same whatever you spend.

and at £6, it's no big loss. You may have use for it one day as a spacer or something.

I simply used the R-band interference filter in my LRGB set (Astrolumina). The deeper the red, the better in terms of reduction of seeing effects. There is a downside: the longer the wavelength, the lower the resolution, and the narrower the band, the less light is transmitted. Any narrow single-band, filter will reduce the effect of atmospheric refraction for objects at low altitude.

I think a main difference is that cheaper filters are stained optical glass but the more expensive ones are better figured optically and have various coatings applied including anti-reflective multi-coatings. I'd expect these to provide more clean images although maybe I am just being suckered.

I think a main difference is that cheaper filters are stained optical glass but the more expensive ones are better figured optically and have various coatings applied including anti-reflective multi-coatings. I'd expect these to provide more clean images although maybe I am just being suckered.

Stained filters do not have a sharp cut-off that interference filters have, so other frequencies also get through, and the transmission of classical filters is lower. I found both UHC (Sirius A became a double star with one reddish and one blue-green component) and O-III (single blue-green, but seeing horrible) did not help nearly as much as plain red.

Off topic Shane but did you ever get to try out the H-Beta on the Horsehead?

hi mate

unfortunately conditions have been against me since I got it. I will try on the California Nebula though when this comes about or if I get a chance at the HH I'll do so but running out of time now. maybe this weekend, we'll see.

Archived