SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

300 secs (5min) unguided on HEQ5

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I wasn't expecting that. :Envy:

I've been playing around with polar alignment over the weekend. Lucky to have a couple of clear nights.

I don't want to complicate things more than they already are, so I've not gone down the route of computer attached or guiding.

Image below is a single shot taken last night. 600 secs exposure at ISO800.

I'll try stacking them later. I took 18 shots, some need to be thrown as they show movement (probably inaccuracy in gears). But I'd say about 14 shots are usable.

post-15911-0-25225800-1364901968_thumb.j

It felt like there is more to be had. I stopped at 600secs as I wanted to get some data last night and even test shots start to take a while at that exposure time.

How far have others managed to push their unguided exposures on an HEQ5?

Hi,

If you can achieve 600s unguided with the HEQ5 and with the evidence shown you can, then you should congratulate yourself. The best I have done on my Eq5 pro is just over 90s, I tried to guide on M51 a few nights ago and I failed miserably with 300s . You must have a very good set of gears in your mount. Guiding once sorted out can give good results but if you can consistantly achieve thid sort of result unguided then you do not need another set of tempramental hardware.

Regards,

A.G

Beautiful shot! I can only get max 40 secs' exposure but then my scope's focal length is long and puts more strain on my mount! I hope to get a small APO soon.

Alexxx

or a better mount? :grin:

*running away*

Thread Title Updated as per request from OP although I also added 5min in brackets just in case ;)

Peter...

Thanks for the correction Peter. I feel as though my thread mislead some people's expectations.

If you can achieve 600s unguided with the HEQ5 and with the evidence shown you can, then you should congratulate yourself. The best I have done on my Eq5 pro is just over 90s, I tried to guide on M51 a few nights ago and I failed miserably with 300s . You must have a very good set of gears in your mount. Guiding once sorted out can give good results but if you can consistantly achieve thid sort of result unguided then you do not need another set of tempramental hardware.

Sorry to disappoint you A.G. My brain failed at multiplication when I posted initially. The shots posted are 300secs unguided, not 600 as I originally stated.

Peroni, you can also try this polar alignment method https://code.google....olar-alignment/ ;)

Thanks for the tip Gonzo. All my work so far has been with 'scope in the field'. Not literally but I have to lug and set up then dismantle for each imaging session. I don't want to go through the extra hassle and complexity of adding a laptop with software into the mix.

The method I use was suggested by Dion over at Astronomy Shed (a youtube video was available). Basically,

1) level the tripod

2) determine the last transit time for Polaris (I use Polar Finder app on Android)

3) Set the polar scope to have Polaris circle at bottom i.e. in transit

4) dial the last transit time into the RA settings circle (on my HEQ5 that is the top scale reading from right to left)

5) carefully rotate the RA axis back so it reads 0

Peroni - Did you have to do any drift alignment?

Nope. I looked into drift alignment but again I don't have the gear for it. Not wanting to hook up to PC and I don't have an illuminated reticule for non-PC drift alignment.

This is something I will try but later on.

That's an excellent shot. Are there are couple more small fuzzy things lurking in there?

Yes, if you look carefully there are at least 4 fuzzies in the shot. I've not taken the time to identify them yet. A couple look like edge on spirals maybe. A couple more are full face on fuzzies.

A good catch there. This is what I love about AP; checking the shots later on and noticing something else :grin:

Nope. I looked into drift alignment but again I don't have the gear for it. Not wanting to hook up to PC and I don't have an illuminated reticule for non-PC drift alignment.

This is something I will try but later on.

Doesn't look like you need to with that mount and your good polar alignment. Very well done.

I have the EQ5 mount (not HEQ5) and can only achieve 30 second exposures. Periodic error is my main problem I think because some exposures have perfectly round stars, whilst others are slightly elliptical. I can also see the stars moving backwards and forwards when I flick through the subs. I need to get a decent mount basically.

Archived