Narrowband

IC 1396 Elephant's Trunk Ha and OIII

MartinB

Got the first 2 hours of Ha a couple of weeks ago. On a very windy Thursday night this week managed to get another hour of Ha and nearly 3 hours of OIII before some cloud came over. There's very little OIII in there and I might have been as well to get more ha and some binned RGB. Anyways I'm very pleased with it.

It was taken with the wonderful WOFLT 110 triplet which I'm reviewing for Steve at First Light Optics plus SXV H9.

12x15 mins Ha, 11x15mins OIII Captured and combined with Maxim. Processed in PS. Ha red OIII blue, combined the red and blue to make a synthetic green and used the Ha for luminence. The processing was fairly straightforward, the difficult bit is the judgement calls regarding colour and contrast. There's a lot of background nebulosity. If you chop into the dark part of the histogram the trunk becomes quite dramatic but I've decided to leave the background stuff in place here.

2265_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Martin, you are in the big league now mate. That is an outstanding piece of work, deserving of some recognition by the hierarchy of astronomical imaging. I don't know if this image could be improved, you will be the judge of that. But when you come up with the final result, send it to everyone with a magazine, because it is an astronomy picture of the month in my book.

Ron.

I Bow to you Martin , and so pleased that you have come along way , dedication , and persistance has driven you to a fine imager , i can only hope to follow soon in your footsteps, although i dont have that patience heheheh .

I think that is one of the best i have seen , as regards the Elephant trunk Nebula .

well done mate , and keep them coming , but maybe let me catch up abit heehhehe

Rog

:D

An excellent image , as good as I have seen published anywhere. :salute:

Err while you are in a good mood one question , Did you use the H-alpha for both the red and luminance channels ? could not quite follow the processing details.

John

Not sure if Martin will come back for abit , but yes he would have done John , if i,m wrong he will correct me , i normally use ha for lum and also the red

Rog

Thanks for that Rog. You can guess what the next part of my imaging learning curve will be :D

John

lol well i,m all set up now myself for Narrow band , but take atip from Martin there , don't rush , get as many subs in Ha first , , then wait for another clear night for the 0111 or S11 . i think Martin set himself a target and one for us all to think about , quality not quantity.

Rog :D

lol well i,m all set up now myself for Narrow band , but take atip from Martin there , don't rush , get as many subs in Ha first , , then wait for another clear night for the 0111 or S11 . i think Martin set himself a target and one for us all to think about , quality not quantity.

Rog :D

Yep , good advice , Rog.

I will pick some object in the East or North East. I noticed how long Martin's subs were , I will try and increase mine a bit from the usual 4 or 5 mins.

John

ooh thanks a lot everyone for the lovely comments. I'm really pleased with the way it has come out but will no doubt carry on playing with it.

Yes John, I used the Ha as a luminence. Basically use the channel which has the most detail. Process it in mono and give it a good sharpen up. Doesn't need to be a plain luminence filter esp with these emission nebulae.

Archived