SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Comet and lots of Galaxies in Leo

I set up the 10" Dob on the basis that we were going to get a good clear sky and so it was.

Started with the 15x70 binoculars to view Comet Panstarrs. I knew that the comet was going to be close to M31 so from Mirphak down to Almaak and onto Mirach (these stars visible in the twilight) I knew I was going to be close. Both the galaxy and the comet almost in the same FOV of the binos - the Coma and Tails nicely visible. M31 and the Comet seemed the same magnitude so with clear skies tonight they should be closer together to make a better estimate.

Onto Galaxies and I have found that the objects in this website makes an interesting list to follow - http://www.deepskywatch.com/deepsky-guide.html

Last night I concentrated on Leo with the aim of completing the Leo list. Viewed NGCs 3640, 3412, 3810, 3626, 3686, 3226, 3900 and 3655. However, whilst in the area I also viewed M95, M96, M105 with NGC 3384. Also went for the Leo Triplet but could not see the supernovae. The most difficult galaxy in the list which also is included in the Herschel 400 is NGC 3912. I have failed many times to see this galaxy but did view it at SGL8 through a 16" Dob. Last night failed again so I will have another go tonight - if its clear.

Finally with only 14 objects still to view in the Herschel 400 list I made the decision to view some of these. Viewed NGC 5273 in Canes Venatici and NGC 5364 in Virgo. I thought with a mag of 10.4 it would be easy - I easily found NGC 5363 (Hidden Treasurers 72), which is nearby, but the overall faintness of NGC 5364 was a bit more difficult. In the end saw it with averted viewing using my 8mm Ethos.

Although cold with a wind chill to telescope and optics remained clear all night so a very pleasant viewing experience.

Mark

Very nice report Mark. I missed out last night because I got my forecast wrong. I looked at the sky around 1900hrs and thought it will not clear, all signs pointed to a getting worse situation. Looked out a 2200hrs and it was a clear as a clear thing, but alas I was too tired after an early morning.

You have sparked my interest for tonight, Leo.

Alan

Mark

I enjoyed your report. I have as you might expect been out galaxy hunting.

I looked up my notes on the galaxies you listed. My brightness rating is in brackets after your note. You are certainly picking out galaxies I found very tough (<0.5) and some I have not seen NGC 4273 / NGC 5364. Ones for me to add to my targets!

My last collection of observations were NGC 4290 / NGC 4335 / NGC 3507 / NGC 3773 and NGC 3912 all of which were tough objects!

So good to be out observing again even though I do not have an Ethos!

Mark

NGCs 3640 (1), 3412 (2), 3810 (<0.5), 3626 (2) , 3686 (<0.5), 3226 (<0.5), 3900 (1) and 3655 (1). However, whilst in the area I also viewed M95, M96, M105 with NGC 3384. Also went for the Leo Triplet but could not see the supernovae. The most difficult galaxy in the list which also is included in the Herschel 400 is NGC 3912 (<0.5). I have failed many times to see this galaxy but did view it at SGL8 through a 16" Dob. Last night failed again so I will have another go tonight - if its clear.

Finally with only 14 objects still to view in the Herschel 400 list I made the decision to view some of these. Viewed NGC 5273 in Canes Venatici and NGC 5364 in Virgo. I thought with a mag of 10.4 it would be easy - I easily found NGC 5363 (1) (Hidden Treasurers 72), which is nearby, but the overall faintness of NGC 5364 was a bit more difficult. In the end saw it with averted viewing using my 8mm Ethos.

Archived