SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My very first picture!

Oily

So after months of gathering equipment,waiting for the weather etc,my youngest daughter and I took our very first picture last night using our SPC900 cam.I processed it through Registax6 but to be honest didn't know what I was doing,lol but ended up with this:

post-24070-0-15908100-1364817942_thumb.j

Any tips etc much appreciated

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really nice especially for your first go there is quite a bit of detail in the cloud bands so I don't think you could have done much wrong with the processing :D You even appear to have some of the Galilean moons in there too.

Its quite fun capturing your own images be warned though this is your first step down an increasingly expensive road!

Great first attempt oily, I'm waiting for webcam to arrive so am hoping I get as good an image as yours , well done

Cheers Khw :) i'm sure yours will be

Really nice especially for your first go there is quite a bit of detail in the cloud bands so I don't think you could have done much wrong with the processing :D You even appear to have some of the Galilean moons in there too.

Its quite fun capturing your own images be warned though this is your first step down an increasingly expensive road!

Thanks,I've already slipped down the road,lol,not plucked enough courage to use the 350D yet

I'm no good to ask about the processing but for a first attempt that's a fabulous shot - congrats Oily :)

Thanks Brantuk

That is a cracking first attempt. My first go at Jupiter, using the same webcam, was nowhere near as good as that.

Beginners luck I guess :embarrassed:

Nice one well done

Thanks Starnut

nice picture Oily. My first Jupiter could have been a tennis ball, AutoStakker2 turned it into something recognisable but it didn't come out anywhere near as clear as that.

Yeah I was quite surprised when Registax had finished with it myself.I was watching the video thinking this isn't to good,lol

Something for me to aspire to! One day...

Did you barlow the image?

If I can do it I'm sure anyone can ;) No I didn't barlow it,I tried but couldn't get it into focus for some reason?I was nearly out of adjustment(focus) with just the webcam in so not sure whats going on there?

Very nice pic Oily, far better than my attempts :smiley:

Cheers Alan,I'm sure yours are as good :)

Very nice image Oily & daughter! If I'm not mistaken you have three Galilean moons in that shot. Either that or my monitor is dustier than I thought! :grin:

For a first attempt that is absolutely amazing! Well done to you both.

I think your problem with not gaining focus with your barlow is back focus - this seems common with newts. telescopes are designed to bring the image to focus at the front of the eps elements (the open end of the ep). Cameras have their focal plane at the censor chip, inside the camera body. To obtain focus you would have to wind the focus tube right in. Adding a barlow will push this focal plane even further out, meaning you would have to wind the focus tube in further than your focuser can go to gain focus. There are two possible solutions - move the primary mirror up the tube (not an option for most of us), or get a low profile focuser. Which can be quite expensive. SCTs and Maks don't have this problem, nor do refractors. These have problems once you remove the diagonal; but this can be overcome with extension tubes.

Very nice image Oily & daughter! If I'm not mistaken you have three Galilean moons in that shot. Either that or my monitor is dustier than I thought! :grin:

For a first attempt that is absolutely amazing! Well done to you both.

I think your problem with not gaining focus with your barlow is back focus - this seems common with newts. telescopes are designed to bring the image to focus at the front of the eps elements (the open end of the ep). Cameras have their focal plane at the censor chip, inside the camera body. To obtain focus you would have to wind the focus tube right in. Adding a barlow will push this focal plane even further out, meaning you would have to wind the focus tube in further than your focuser can go to gain focus. There are two possible solutions - move the primary mirror up the tube (not an option for most of us), or get a low profile focuser. Which can be quite expensive. SCTs and Maks don't have this problem, nor do refractors. These have problems once you remove the diagonal; but this can be overcome with extension tubes.

Thanks Southerndiver :)

How big of a job is moving the primary mirror?I'm fairly handy when it comes to DIY so any tips on doing it much appreciated .Another I've processed:

JupitermeandBecky_zpsa35b68bb.jpg

How big of a job is moving the primary mirror?I'm fairly handy when it comes to DIY so any tips on doing it much appreciated.

I've not moved a newt primary, so I'm afraid I can't tell you how easy or hard it would be unfortunately. I have only ever owned a Mak or SCT, so I have not experienced this problem myself. I am looking at getting a crayford focuser however, so I may start to get this problem with the added tube length due to the focuser! :undecided:

I sure there's a member somewhere on here that has done it however and can advise you.

Nice second image btw. Some definite detail in those cloud bands.

I've not moved a newt primary, so I'm afraid I can't tell you how easy or hard it would be unfortunately. I have only ever owned a Mak or SCT, so I have not experienced this problem myself. I am looking at getting a crayford focuser however, so I may start to get this problem with the added tube length due to the focuser! :undecided:

I sure there's a member somewhere on here that has done it however and can advise you.

Nice second image btw. Some definite detail in those cloud bands.

Thanks SD,I'll ask about on here then try google!

Nice capture, i would defo try again with the barlow lense this should help you bring out lots more detail.

Regards

Ben

Cheers Ben,I tried quickly the other night but couldn't get it to focus for some reason or should I say I couldn't see anything after changing to the barlow ??

Hi congrats on getting your first image, its great that your daughter takes a interest too. Mine did as she was growing up. Sadly for some reason as the years rolled by, i couldnt seem to keep her interest. Not for any lack of trying i might add.

As far as not enough back focus on the 200p that would surprise me. Ive not used a 200p with a spc ( hoping others will chip in ) But i can get focus with a 300p and the stock skywatcher focuser. So not sure whats going on there. Heres a quick crash course how to go about improving your images, and its certainly worth trying because when it works for you ( and it will ) you will be very delighted i am sure.

First off make sure the telescope is properly collimated. ( i havent seen you mention that, so for now ill assume you have good collimation ) Just mention here if your not sure you have, Also make sure your telescope is cooled, get the telescope out as early as possible. its better to fit a cheap fan on the back of the scope and blow air for at least a hour before you start. Also when you switch to the higher power ( meaning the barlow lens ) first centre the planet in a high power eyepiece. something like a 12 mm will do or higher. Once centered looking at it with your eye, on your camera settings put GAIN up to full. also raise gamma so its very high, the image on screen will now look very noisy with dandruff all over the screen. Dont forget to put the gamma back to its default setting when you start capturing or your gamma settings will be too high. make sure gain is no more than about 10 mm from full up when you start capturing.

Once youve carefully ( so as not to shift your planet after setting it with the high power eyepiece ) carefully put the barlow and webcam in. start focussing slowly on one direction, if nothing is seen go in the opposite direction. Sometimes i find i can grab the end of the telescope tube, and gently nudge it up or down sidewyas ect. because the planet might be right on the edge of the screen. If this fails. go back to the high power eyepiece and check the planet is still centred (often it can move putting in the webcam ) if the planet has moved a lot, you will have to drop back to a wide feild eyepiece, like you did when you started, centre it. then back to the high power eyepiece again, centre it. Then slowly put tthe webcam in. I assure you this technique will eventually work. i do it like this.

The reason you clouldnt see anything when you tried putting the barlow in, is possibly one of two reasons 1 you was so out of focus, that the dim out of focus planet couldnt be seen on the screen. it might actually have been there, you just couldnt see it. Hence the reason i suggested putting the gain and gamma high. because now when you do this, and put the webcam in. even if your way out of focus you should still see the out of focus light ball, that is the planet. so just start to focus if you see that. And 2 when you put the barlow in the planet was just slightly off screen Either up down left or right, it could be anywhere. Hence why putting a high power eyepiece in to center the planet works. you have now made your chances of the planet being somewhere on the screen much greater.

Aplogies for bogging you down with information. But i suspect if you follow these instructions, and reapeat them. if the first attempt fails you will get the image on screen with a few repeated attempts.

A way to coax more travel out of the focuser, if you do have a problem ( im not convinced yet you do ) But if you do, try pulling the webcam, and or the barlow in the webcam, out a little bit what this will do is force focus further foward. I had a Antares 5x barlow that wouldnt focus, i had to pull it out of the focusser drawtube a little bit, about 10 or 15 mm So not a lot. Anyway i hope my explanations makes sense. if you dont understand everything i have suggested, just reply and we can figure it out.

Once again congrats on your first image. Its a milestone. The first always is. But beware the feeling you will get when jupiter grows to the size of a golf ball. you focus it. and can see belts and spots on screen in high resolution.when you stack this image and the detail pours out. You may well get hooked. Your telescope is a very powerfull tool. I think once youve learned the basics, and get past this first hurdle, you may well be shocked at how good it actually is, Please dont give up. A lifetime of pleasure and satisfaction for you and your daughter to keep, is only the next imaging session away.

Thanks for all the info Neil,really helpful.Just to let you know,scope has been collimated,it lives in the shed so its already cool.

I'm going to give it another try tonight and use the high power ep first like you suggested and if I have trouble focusing,move the cam/barlow out etc.

Here's to clear skies!

Great, Hope the suggestions work, they should. Its good your collimated and the scope is outside. But still leave the mirror cap off for a good 40 mins to a hour before trying. when you try pulling the cam barlow out a touch, if you do have focus issues, i would start with one first. Probably better to pull the camera out a touch first, to see if that works. if it does not then try the barlow out of the focuser holder a touch. This should make the point of focus further foward. Hence helping any back focus issues. Be aware Jupiter is not at its best now, its way past its best. But there should be enough left to get your first barlow shot. Good luck. I hope it works.

Good start Oily!

One of the best purchases I made was on a zoom eyepiece, makes centering the planet so much easier than changing eyepieces and losing the object out of view. Lots of people on here hate zoom eyepieces so there are always cheap ones for sale.

Btw you will need gamma set at 0 for the spc webcam and keep gain above 50%.

My best advice would to follow Neils advice. I've watched him like a hawk on here for the last few years and the improvement in my images has been massive. Admittedly I'm a lot poorer but happier for it. :wink:

Archived