Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

Itabot

BBC The sky At Night

Hi, A'm I missing something....BBC The sky At Night, is it now only scheduled once a month, all I can find is 00:20 8th of April and not repeated on BBC 4 early evening?

Yes, there are no bbc4 repeats advertised on the S@N website.

The bbc may feel that repeat broadcasts are now a waste of money with the bbci player.

I hope that's not the case as I always hold out for the extended repeat.

If they're not doing repeats any more then I hope they "extend" the edition

The BBC seem to repeat most programs and not even once or twice but often several times, so that seems to not hold much water.

Does it appear on iPlayer?

I can't find it and last time I looked at the S@N website it said it was currently unavailable on iPlayer.

Over the years one of my greatest annoyances with S@N has been the horrid broadcast times of the programme. When you look at the mindless, wall to wall tosh that they throw out at times when children are watching yet they can't even find half an hour once a month during the early evening for S@N!!

Their obvious re-buff will be that with modern equipment we can watch what we want when we want, but that hasn't always been a viable excuse...

• Like 1

Does it appear on iPlayer?

I can't find it and last time I looked at the S@N website it said it was currently unavailable on iPlayer.

Over the years one of my greatest annoyances with S@N has been the horrid broadcast times of the programme. When you look at the mindless, wall to wall tosh that they throw out at times when children are watching yet they can't even find half an hour once a month during the early evening for S@N!!

Their obvious re-buff will be that with modern equipment we can watch what we want when we want, but that hasn't always been a viable excuse...

I agree completely, looks like one monthly episode after midnight and not currently on BBC iplayer.

• Like 1

Is this a underhand way of the BBC starting to getting rid of S&N now that Sir Patrick has gone. Would it be a good idea for all us star watchers to write , Email or contact the BBC to make sure we have our voices heard..

Clear skies

phill

" Would it be a good idea for all us star watchers to write , Email or contact the BBC to make sure we have our voices heard.. "

I would be up for that

Oh that's very poor. I deliberately record the BBC4 showing because I prefer the longer version.

James

IIRC it doesn't appear on Iplayer until after the last showing on any of the channels... Definitely a shame if the choice and availability is going to be cut back though :(

Peter...

I only watch on Iplayer and am used to having to wait 5 days for it to appear and the episodes only seem to be up for a week or two, even when Sir Patrick was still around. I really wish they would just keep them up for the whole month if not longer. I missed the last episode because I couldn't find a working proxy.

as an aside, I am happy they are still showing past segments with Sir Patrick on it. Great to still see the respect for the past on that show.

Iplayer is just fine for Hairy Bikers, Bargain Hunt, or Daily Politics (yawn) but any programme with a bit of thought just goes straight over the schedulers heads.

Dave

• Like 1

I asked Chris Lintott about this via Twitter:

Stephen Usher@bulletford 10h

Looks like #bbcskyatnight has no extended repeat on #BBC4 this month. Hopefully not internal politics trying to kill it. @chrislintott news?

The response was:

chrislintott@chrislintott 7h

@bulletford Should be on a week on Thursday - 1st broadcast is the 1st Sun. of each month, with BBC4 on following Thu. Complicated, I know!

So, there you are!

• Like 1

Radio Times has S@N Sun/Mon 7th/8th 12.25 am, extended repeat BBC4 Thurs 11th 7.30pm - 8.00pm. Rpt Sat 13th, BBC2 (time not stated)

Yes the extended version (if you can call 30 mins as being extended) is on this Thursday at 7:30pm as per normal.

I really liked this months edition, it was a very peaceful very atmospheric edition, I love that type of program, very calming and pleasant to watch and learn from.

I just wish they would extend it to an hour - not a lot to ask for especially as it's only once a month.

Edited by Cath

Extended version is on 11th April BBC4 7.30pm i have set this to record as its my wedding anniversary dont think my wife would like me watching this and not taking her out for a meal.

• Like 1

I hope so. I like the new style show. Also one of my images of panstarrs was supposed to be on, but it was not on Sunday's. Hopefully the extended one.

Thanks for the info.......that's ok back to normal, if I record anything I never seem to watch it.

• Like 1