HuTech ortho 5mm appears in stock at FLO

FLO have kindly have agreed to send me some of these to review, when they are available :smiley:

April seems to be being talked about on the Cloudynights forum so perhaps stocks will hit our shores real soon.

I'm not just seeing these now I've been watching them to see when they come in. The 5mm can be added to basket and bought right now whereas the others are all listed out of stock.

Mistake or actually in stock? Just posting as a heads up in case someone wants to take a punt to see if it's in stock or not

Any idea why the BGOs were never made in 15 mm format? It seems an obvious gap.

I don't know the answer but I can't think of any ortho range that has a 15mm come to think of it. Most seem to go 12.5mm -> 18mm.

don't think it ever came in a 15. TV makes a plossl that is highly regarded by me at that FL though. I know Edmund scientific had/has a 15mm ortho, but I read the quality isn't as high as the volcano top orthos.

After being out last night and getting some of the best views ive ever had of Jupiter in the ES 6.7 in the dob (180x) I am starting to wonder how much better a dedicated ortho at 6mm might suit me.

I noticed some quitre apparent CA in the 6.7 on jupiter, start to appear around 50% out from centre and be pronounced by field stop. GRS was visible throughout to field stop but the CA was a little unexpected. It was blue/purple one edge and orange/brown on the opposing edge.

I'm wondering maybe if I should get a 6mm BGO s/h, 6mm HuTech when they come in or a very small TV plossl (does these perform like BGO/ other orthos?) . Not sure what FLs the TV plossls come in. I'd want something absolutely premium at this FL to justify not using the ES. Across the centre 50% the ES is very good indeed, great contrast and detail, nice colour. this 50% is around the same FOV the orthos/plossls would show so I need to bear that in mind.

Any advice here?

By the way this does not mean the 6.7 is being surplanted. I used it on DSOs last night (same scope) and extracted some incredible detail from M81 M82, M65, M66, M51, M3, M13...list goes on. It's very very capable for high power DSO work. Inky black backgrounds, like black velvet. I believe, hand on heart, that I saw the super nova in Leo last night. I watched it at this magnification for close to an hour and sure enough, a small bright spot kept appearing right where the SN is placed as the seeing came and went. Flashing like a beacon. I am going to double check the position within the galaxy in a minute to confirm but I am certain I saw this visually :)

If you managed the SN in M65 last night well done. I had a good long look with my 12" dob and could not see it. There are a couple of mag 13 stars across the galaxy though. My understanding is that the SN is still around mag 16 so I was not expecting to see it. It may have brightened suddenly though ?

I didnt see it, but I'm not sure what I did see either looking at some pictures there is nothing bright where I saw the intermittent bright point source.

This picture shows the galaxy, red ring is where the SN is, I saw a point source come and go within the disc at the blue ring. None of our galaxies stars appear in front on M65 and what I saw was very clearly within the galaxy's structure. About the same distance out from the core as the SN, just the other side.

What did I see?

post-19910-0-24991800-1364983392_thumb.j

I didnt see it, but I'm not sure what I did see either looking at some pictures there is nothing bright where I saw the intermittent bright point source.

This picture shows the galaxy, red ring is where the SN is, I saw a point source come and go within the disc at the blue ring. None of our galaxies stars appear in front on M65 and what I saw was very clearly within the galaxy's structure. About the same distance out from the core as the SN, just the other side.

What did I see?

The SN's I've observed in the past have been steady, but dim, points of light. Variations in brightness happen over days rather than minutes.

It's possible you were seeing a star on the threshold of visibility. They can "come and go" with variations in seeing and even sometimes as the angle of your eye changes. Sirius B does this unless the conditions are really good when it becomes more steadily viewable.

Thanks John. The conditions last night were windy on and off and from looking at Jupiter I was noticing the seeing was going from pristine to hazy blobs on and off.

I was seeing the same thing when observing this galaxy as the stars framing it are all low magnitude and themselves were brightening and dimming depending on the seeing.

This point of light was following the same behaviour, it's just its position that has my perplexed. There is no star in the picture above at the location I was looking. Nor in the picture that the other board member posted in the observing forum which depicts the SNs location.

I'm wondering what I actually saw... if none of the pictures show a point source where I put the blue ring, then what did i see?

I just looked at the picture above and you can sort of make out a collection of 3 slightly brighter point sources there. And I did feel I was seeing more than one faint point source as well. They look incredibly low magnitude though.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the limiting stellar magnitude for a 250px is 13 point something so in hindsight looking for the sn might be a bit pointless. I'm now curious what I actually saw though :)

Also any advice on the eps above would be appreciated. Completely derailed b my own thread :)

don't think it ever came in a 15. TV makes a plossl that is highly regarded by me at that FL though. I know Edmund scientific had/has a 15mm ortho, but I read the quality isn't as high as the volcano top orthos.

I have a 15 mm TV Plossl and agree they are rather good. There must be a good market for a decent 15 mm ortho as well though, given the high esteem that BGOs are held in.

Archived