Narrowband

TS Marine 15x70s [Kunming BA8]

I know it's been said before on various forums but after having had 2 good sessions with these bins, I would say they are excellent for Astro use.

I used to own a pair of 45º 25x100 Helios Quantum 7 and the 15x70s are a bit like a small version of these. I have gone through many different makes and sizes since I sold the big ones and these 15x70s are the only ones I feel are worth keeping.

The build quality is heavy and solid and the prism housings are reassuringly fat. The IPD adjustment and individual EP focussing are stiff but when in position will not move.

Collimation was spot on as defocussing one EP showed the point star dead centre of the defocussed star.

Exit pupils are perfectly round with no cut-offs, eye-relief maybe a bit tight for glasses wearers as the lens in recessed.

The coatings used on the objectives are a very dark green/purple and will only show the outline of your head and not any facial features.

The coatings seem similar to that used on my Televue Panoptics.

Stars focus to a tight point, contrast is great and colour is wonderful.

I am using them on a monopod with a trigger grip ball head and this is so much more user friendly than fussing with a tripod.

I have found that whilst sitting down I can get near to the zenith without any great discomfort and anything from 60º and under is a breeze.

I would say that stars are tight to about 70% out from the centre where they soften and distort slightly but despite this, the edge of the field is well illuminated so if you're focussed on the centre then the overall image is satisfying.

I fact last night, I was using them alongside my 9.25 with Earthwin binoviewer and 24mm Pans and the 15x70s kept up easily, can't be bad.

I think for around £300, these are an absolute bargain, well worth it and should last a lifetime.

I'm looking forward to getting them to a dark site soon.

Thanks to Steve [tenterre] for his recommendations for the whole set up.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Binoculars are very personal things, so very pleased that my recommendations suited you. Just upgraded my monopod (7 Day Shop to Manfrotto), so even happier with the setup now.

On the batphone, so expect typos...

Binoculars are very personal things, so very pleased that my recommendations suited you. Just upgraded my monopod (7 Day Shop to Manfrotto), so even happier with the setup now.

On the batphone, so expect typos...

They are personal things, I would like a little more space between the EPs for my nose but that's my problem, not the bins !

Have you had a chance to try out your Manfrotto monopod...? I was looking at doing the same thing for a bit more rigidity.

Have you had a chance to try out your Manfrotto monopod...?
Only once, but it's much better. After a year, the clamps on the 7DayShop thing were losing their grip. The Manfrotto ones are adjustable so, if they begin to wear, I can tighten them up. BTW, it's the 679B -- managed to get a new one (last in stock, sorry :laugh: ) for under £30.

I bought the new Delta Extreme 15x70ED. Haven't had time to give them a proper test yet (not that I'm experienced enough to!) but the brightness and contrast are simply amazing. I suffered a few days with the Skymasters, needless to say, they went straight back! Would be great to make a proper comparison with another BA8 local to me (Southall which is near Hayes, Heathrow).

Bought the Horizon 8115 tripod a while back but these monopods appear to be very popular. Don't they shake with 2.5kg on?

Thanks

I also bought the Horizon 8115 tripod for the 15x70, but its now serving another purpose, a clothes horse!!

I found the tripod decent enough but the head woefully inadequate for the 2 1/2 kg Apollo. I thought about replacing the head, but in the end shelled out for a Manfrotto tripod and fluid head. It has transformed the whole experience from frustration to observing nirvana :-)

but these monopods appear to be very popular. Don't they shake with 2.5kg on?
I guess it depends how you use it. The following Q&A refers to my opinion of the monopod and trigger-grip ball-head combo:

Is it as stable and easy to use as a decent parallelogram? No

Is it as useful as a tripod for showing others what you are observing? No

Is it much more stable than any form of hand-holding? Yes

Is it less frustrating than a tripod for high elevations, especially when seated? Yes

Is it more portable than any other sensible mounting option? Yes

If I'm going to do a long session, I'll set up the P-mount and probably use the Bj100B, but for a quick hour or so, the BA8 on a monopod is ideal for me.

I had the 8115 tripod with 20x80s and 25x100s and I found it a bit of a faff, I haven't tried a top end Manfotto fluid head.

I always found when sitting down the legs of the tripod and my own legs were always trying to occupy the same space, with the monopod that problem is no more.

It does take a bit of practice to eliminate any shakes but I've got the hang of it after a couple of nights and I bought a more rigid Manfrotto, which helps.

Damo, i saw your set up on CN and it does look nice, just down to personal preferences I suppose.

Mark, did you have to order your Delta Extreme from Poland.....?.....they look to be identical with brown rubber?

Thanks for the quick analysis Steve, very helpful!

However, I can't visualize where the foot of the monopod would stand when leaning back in a reclining chair. Not unless it's at quite an angle and if so, wouldn't it slip away from you?

I had the 8115 tripod with 20x80s and 25x100s and I found it a bit of a faff, I haven't tried a top end Manfotto fluid head.

I always found when sitting down the legs of the tripod and my own legs were always trying to occupy the same space, with the monopod that problem is no more.

It does take a bit of practice to eliminate any shakes but I've got the hang of it after a couple of nights and I bought a more rigid Manfrotto, which helps.

Damo, i saw your set up on CN and it does look nice, just down to personal preferences I suppose.

Mark, did you have to order your Delta Extreme from Poland.....?.....they look to be identical with brown rubber?

No, I got them from Zoltan at 365astronomy. He very kindly took back the Celestron 15x70's which, apart from the collimation being out, I 'd decided that I would never be happy with. Nothing was too much trouble for him, a great old-fashioned level of service that appears to be prevalent in this market! They do appear to be identical to the Helios, TS Marine etc although Delta state that the glass is ED. Not having looked through any other BA8's before, I wouldn't know. As mentioned, after a brief viewing seesion the other night, my mouth was left open as the views were simply amazing. I guess it's to be expected[?] but on the moon, there was CA around the perimeter of the moon.

regards

Mark

I also bought the Horizon 8115 tripod for the 15x70, but its now serving another purpose, a clothes horse!!

I found the tripod decent enough but the head woefully inadequate for the 2 1/2 kg Apollo. I thought about replacing the head, but in the end shelled out for a Manfrotto tripod and fluid head. It has transformed the whole experience from frustration to observing nirvana :-)

Yes Damo, it is a bit hit and miss isn't it! But then the height's good....

No, I got them from Zoltan at 365astronomy. He very kindly took back the Celestron 15x70's which, apart from the collimation being out, I 'd decided that I would never be happy with. Nothing was too much trouble for him, a great old-fashioned level of service that appears to be prevalent in this market! They do appear to be identical to the Helios, TS Marine etc although Delta state that the glass is ED. Not having looked through any other BA8's before, I wouldn't know. As mentioned, after a brief viewing seesion the other night, my mouth was left open as the views were simply amazing. I guess it's to be expected[?] but on the moon, there was CA around the perimeter of the moon.

regards

Mark

I've had good dealings with Zoltan as well, no problems there.

The views are substantially better than the budget 15x70s and well worth the extra....but i don't think anything will get rid of the CA with bins, except maybe a few thousand ££.

You must be the first in the UK to have a pair of these......

I've had good dealings with Zoltan as well, no problems there.

The views are substantially better than the budget 15x70s and well worth the extra....but i don't think anything will get rid of the CA with bins, except maybe a few thousand ££.

You must be the first in the UK to have a pair of these......

Quite possibly. Am waiting to see if someone not too far away would like to meet up and make a comparison.

As far as using the monopod,

Thanks for the quick analysis Steve, very helpful!

However, I can't visualize where the foot of the monopod would stand when leaning back in a reclining chair. Not unless it's at quite an angle and if so, wouldn't it slip away from you?

I found exactly what you describe when sitting in a regular camping chair, so I just stretched my legs out and used my feet as a stop for the monopod foot.

The monopod is at about 45º and the trigger grip parallel to the ground, the bins are near the zenith.

It's still a bit of a strain on the neck but is a LOT easier when your arms and hands are not up around your ears holding the bins but rather one hand on the monopod and one on the grip.

It's not a position you'd want to be in for longer than a few minutes but as Steve points out, the alternative is lugging out a P-mount. As with everything, it has it's pros and cons but as I'm more likely to use this set up more frequently, it makes sense to me.

Still want a big pair of 45º 100mm tho'.........

You & me both mate :-)

I had a crazy thought a while back where I considered selling all my scope gear and plunging the proceeds into one of these.......

http://www.firstligh...binoculars.html

It still crosses my mind from time to time!

Damo

This was the first thing i used to look at the night sky and was blown away. I sold them on looking for other gear to better them but I'm not sure I've found that as yet.

Magnification is limited to about 80x if the collimation is good, not the best for planets but the ability to use you own EPs is great.

I think the simplicity is great and sometimes when I'm messing about with batteries, dew strips and alignment, I just think.....Hmmmm, I'll get another pair of big bins.

As far as using the monopod,

I found exactly what you describe when sitting in a regular camping chair, so I just stretched my legs out and used my feet as a stop for the monopod foot.

The monopod is at about 45º and the trigger grip parallel to the ground, the bins are near the zenith.

It's still a bit of a strain on the neck but is a LOT easier when your arms and hands are not up around your ears holding the bins but rather one hand on the monopod and one on the grip.

It's not a position you'd want to be in for longer than a few minutes but as Steve points out, the alternative is lugging out a P-mount. As with everything, it has it's pros and cons but as I'm more likely to use this set up more frequently, it makes sense to me.

It does sound an easier option than using the tripod for anything above maybe 40 deg. Can you specify the individual head and pod so I can google please?

It does sound an easier option than using the tripod for anything above maybe 40 deg. Can you specify the individual head and pod so I can google please?

It may be something you like, there again some will not get on with it, I suppose it's a case of trial and error.

These are the bits I have, both at Steves recommendation.

Trigger Grip: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230945731964

I don't think it's cheaper anywhere else.

Monopod: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manfrotto-MN-679B-Monopod-/251248081965?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item3a7f8d7c2d

Just bought this as it's meant to hold up to 10 kilos but started with one of the £12 ones which are perfectly ok.

Or a P-mount maybe worth considering.

It may be something you like, there again some will not get on with it, I suppose it's a case of trial and error.

These are the bits I have, both at Steves recommendation.

Trigger Grip: http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=230945731964

I don't think it's cheaper anywhere else.

Monopod: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a7f8d7c2d

Just bought this as it's meant to hold up to 10 kilos but started with one of the £12 ones which are perfectly ok.

Or a P-mount maybe worth considering.

Not too expensive then. When I get some work, I'll invest in these. Thanks again

Thanks for the quick analysis Steve, very helpful! However, I can't visualize where the foot of the monopod would stand when leaning back in a reclining chair. Not unless it's at quite an angle and if so, wouldn't it slip away from you?
Two ways, the first of which require's about a minute's worth of surgery (to the recliner) with a soldering iron (stops the edges of the hole fraying. Tried the hole-in-the-chair option, but I prefer the down-the-side one.

post-358-0-91821100-1365156665_thumb.jpg

post-358-0-95821300-1365156850_thumb.jpg

The one downside of this Manfrotto monopod compared to the cheap 7-day Shop one is the lack of ground spike in the end, so it does tend to slip more. However, slippage is not an issue with the "down-the-side" method. Still need to concoct an altogether better "universal" solution for using a binocular with a recliner and not having to cart so much crud that the whole portability advantage goes down the pan.

the Celestron 15x70's which, apart from the collimation being out, I 'd decided that I would never be happy with.
Frankly, the Celestron are not very good, not least because they are actually 10x62 (stopped down internally). They are better than the 10x50s of the same quality (actually 10x43), and show more than the unaided eye, but they are over-represented in "How do I fix...?" type threads on astronomy message boards for a reason.
but on the moon, there was CA around the perimeter of the moon
Inevitable. To be sensibly achromatic, a 70mm would need to be around f/14, maybe f/8 or so with ED glass or f/6 or so with fluorite (like hen's teeth nowadays). These binoculars are about f/5.
Allow me to introduce you to my Bj100B :grin:

post-358-0-16768300-1365157889_thumb.jpg

A few of things about the head: like a lot of Chinese stuff, QC isn't brilliant, and they tend to loosen up with use. You can adjust the ball stiffness wiht the little black grubscrew in the head -- takes a 3mm hex-wrench (Allen-key). Don't over-tighten, as it gets jerky, but about 1/8 turn at a time should find you the sweet spot for your binocular. Also, the silver-coloured bolt under the mounting plate may get loose -- symptom: stuff wobbles slightly. Easy to remedy with a 4mm hex-wrench. Lastly, the screw holding the leaf-spring that holds up the video pin can work loose. You can either remove the whole caboodle altogether, or put a drop of CA in the thread and tighten it.

The I'll try to get some pics up in the next few days.

Two ways, the first of which require's about a minute's worth of surgery (to the recliner) with a soldering iron (stops the edges of the hole fraying. Tried the hole-in-the-chair option, but I prefer the down-the-side one.

post-358-0-91821100-1365156665_thumb.jpg

post-358-0-95821300-1365156850_thumb.jpg

The one downside of this Manfrotto monopod compared to the cheap 7-day Shop one is the lack of ground spike in the end, so it does tend to slip more. However, slippage is not an issue with the "down-the-side" method. Still need to concoct an altogether better "universal" solution for using a binocular with a recliner and not having to cart so much crud that the whole portability advantage goes down the pan.

Frankly, the Celestron are not very good, not least because they are actually 10x62 (stopped down internally). They are better than the 10x50s of the same quality (actually 10x43), and show more than the unaided eye, but they are over-represented in "How do I fix...?" type threads on astronomy message boards for a reason.

Inevitable. To be sensibly achromatic, a 70mm would need to be around f/14, maybe f/8 or so with ED glass or f/6 or so with fluorite (like hen's teeth nowadays). These binoculars are about f/5.

Allow me to introduce you to my Bj100B :grin:

post-358-0-16768300-1365157889_thumb.jpg

A few of things about the head: like a lot of Chinese stuff, QC isn't brilliant, and they tend to loosen up with use. You can adjust the ball stiffness wiht the little black grubscrew in the head -- takes a 3mm hex-wrench (Allen-key). Don't over-tighten, as it gets jerky, but about 1/8 turn at a time should find you the sweet spot for your binocular. Also, the silver-coloured bolt under the mounting plate may get loose -- symptom: stuff wobbles slightly. Easy to remedy with a 4mm hex-wrench. Lastly, the screw holding the leaf-spring that holds up the video pin can work loose. You can either remove the whole caboodle altogether, or put a drop of CA in the thread and tighten it.

The I'll try to get some pics up in the next few days.

Tent (what do we call you?), do you get assistance to get out of that chair? :laugh: Actually, I'll shop around for one of those camping recliners too due to the low weight/portability! Steve, so is there a better quality head than the (loosening screws) one you describe that you can recommend? Just love those BJ100's, are they the same UA/Kunmig as Helios/TS etc?

Tent (what do we call you?),
I usually answer to "Steve", "Oi! Moosh!" or "Hey! You with the face!" :laugh:
Steve, so is there a better quality head than the (loosening screws) one you describe that you can recommend?
Don't know of one; not sure the expensive ones would be any better. The Weifeng one (i.e. branded as Camrock, Olivon -- when it costs £85! -- and various other things) is not bad at all. Just needs maintenance. And I like the fact that it is easily adjustable.
Just love those BJ100's, are they the same UA/Kunmig as Helios/TS etc?
No, it's a Miyauchi. But what I'd really like is the 40x version of this :grin: .

Archived