Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Ultima LX 32mm 70 degree

SnakeyJ

Has anyone used or owned a Celestron Ultima LX 32mm 70 degree - I'm considering this an alternative to the SW Panaview 32mm for my F5 Bresser Messier and SW Explorer 200P.

S/h price is about the same as a new panaview 32mm.

Deafening silence.... I'm beginning to think the lack of a good review or comments on this EP is telling its own story, but I'd like to think at twice the price of the Panaview and with two extra optical elements (8 piece design rather than the Panaviews 6 pieces) it ought to give a little more contrast and a perhaps a little less abberation/softness towards the edge at F5.

Hmmm - New Panaview 32mm @ £ 80 or the s/h Ultima LX 32mm for the same money? Looks like I might be tossing a coin and hopeing for the best ;)

i have not used one - by have read some comments - along the line soft at the edge - I don't think you'll sharpness to the edge with any of these types of lens unless your scope is is around F10.

andrew

Thanks Knobby and Andrew - I was feeling very lonely on this thread, though it had received quite a lot of reads!

The Panaview 32mm gets great reviews and although soft at the edge at F5, lots of very favourable comment from many people here using Dobs/Newts at F5 and even a little faster, citing price and performance. It would be great to see a side by side review, but it looks like something I'm going to have to write myself.

I think I will take a punt on the Ultima LX, on the basis it should perform a little better - It's certainly going to be a long way ahead of my current 1.25" Celestron 32mm Possl (from their EP Kit).

Thanks again - Jake

I've not seen many of these around so it would be interesting to see what they are like. I did managed to find this review by one of our members, F15Rules (Dave) from July 2011:

I guess there are lots of eyepieces around with a similar spec so perhaps it's not surprising that a perfectly competant range fails to take off now and then.

Thanks John and Faulksy,

I have pushed the button and brought this, so will soon find out - thanks for the link John F15Rules had some very good information on this, though using at F8.

I'll make sure to post a first light report on it - but would be really good to compare it directly with the Panaview 32mm - perhaps at my next SP or I may be able to borrow one locally. I'm pretty sure it will work very well until I get the 82 or 100 degree UWA bug - it should be a real treat in the AR-152S for big widefield. I'll have to try it the painful way provided I have enough focuser travel, as my diagonal won't arrive until start of May!

Thanks again - Jake

Hope you enjoy your new eyepiece Jake - clear skies forecast for coming week...

Thanks Andrew, should suffice until I earn enough for the proper ES or TV EP's - I've been out for the three of the last four nights, more than I managed in the previous 3 weeks! Though I must confess I'm starting to miss my bed and the reasuring familiarity of grey skies. Still haven't managed to get any decent images of Saturn yet, so no sleep until I can get some decent LRGB data (preferably at F20 or better) and lots of faint fuzzy stuff to find before the moon rises.

I had this eyepiece for a while. Good thing was fantastic transmission. In the other side I wasn't happy because of poor field correction. I've scope f7.5 and still wasn't good. I'm curious how this ep perform with faster scopes.

Thanks Marvaz for your info on this, though really hope I can get acceptable performance at F5 with this (though do expect to see some marked softening at the edges). I received the EP on Friday, but have been too busy trying get some decent capture on Saturn to have a proper look. As soon as my 2" diag arrives and the weather gods smile I shall get this out and do a proper report - hopefully I can get hold of a panaview 32mm to do an objective side by side comparison.

I have a 32mm Ultima LX and have used it for about a year now. I am very happy with it and don't plan to get anything new soon. I used on with my CPC 9.25 and I the Ultima LX a good match for my SCT

I find with the Ultima LX and I have 5 of them, that the image remains strong right out to the edge and the FOV is very forgiving for anyone who maybe wearing glasses.

Thanks Pat,

You really have signed up for the Ultima LX series! I've seen lots of good comments about these from SCT users, though you have longer focal lengths on your side. Obviously not expecting perfection from this at F5, but hope that the performance is at least comparable with the SW Panaviews and hopefully a little better.

Having looked at, but not yet through the 32mm Ultima LX, I can say that the build quality is excellent and I really like the design. Looking forward to first light in the AR-152S towards the end of the month when the Meade 5000 diagonal arrives. But I'll probably have a sneak peak with it in the newt before hand - The veil is looking an excellent first target ;)

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, TheLookingGlass said:

I do realize that this is an old thread, but I have come across a 32mm Ultima LX and I was curious as to how it was at F/5 SnakeyJ.

If it is ok, could you please elaborate on the views at F/5?

Thanks!

Don't buy it. I used one at f6 and the field curvature was terrible. I suspect that the eyepiece is probably only suitable for use in SCTs and other very high focal ratio telescopes.

I would suggest looking out for one of:

• 28mm or 35mm Explore Scientific/Maxvision/Meade 68° 
  • 28mm 82° Nirvana/UWAN or 30mm ES 82°

On 18/06/2018 at 03:31, Ricochet said:

Don't buy it. I used one at f6 and the field curvature was terrible. I suspect that the eyepiece is probably only suitable for use in SCTs and other very high focal ratio telescopes.

I would suggest looking out for one of:

• 28mm or 35mm Explore Scientific/Maxvision/Meade 68° 
  • 28mm 82° Nirvana/UWAN or 30mm ES 82°

Thank you so much for that information Ricochet. FC drives me up the bend !!! 

Cheers!

10 hours ago, TheLookingGlass said:

Thank you so much fot that information Ricochet. FC drives me up the bend !!! 

Cheers!

Or perhaps the new 30mm APM Ultra Flat Field.  It's reportedly pretty good as well.

On 10/04/2013 at 00:16, Pat Dunne said:

I have a 32mm Ultima LX and have used it for about a year now. I am very happy with it and don't plan to get anything new soon. I used on with my CPC 9.25 and I the Ultima LX a good match for my SCT

I find with the Ultima LX and I have 5 of them, that the image remains strong right out to the edge and the FOV is very forgiving for anyone who maybe wearing glasses.

I have the 22mm Ultima LX. Eye relief with glasses not quite enough, but it's fine otherwise. I would like to try a 32 some day. 

10 hours ago, 25585 said:

I have the 22mm Ultima LX. Eye relief with glasses not quite enough, but it's fine otherwise. I would like to try a 32 some day. 

I have the 22mm Ultima LX as well. It's a different beast than the 32mm according to reports on here. I am glad I did not get the 32mm. The 22mm is excellent though!

Archived