Revelation x2.5 / Revelation x2 ED Barlow

Robny

Hi all, apart from the obvious difference in magnification and the fact that the x2 ED has the 2" adapter does anyone have any insight on the quality of the optics. the x2 ED states ED, multi coated, blackened edges and compression ring. The x2.5 states APO three element air spaced and that's about it. Does anyone have any opinion on the quality of the optics or are they pretty similar, the x2 ED holds a higher price. Thanks Rob

Hi Rob,

I have the 2x ED barlow. Optically its sound for the price you pay for it. It's essentially a GSO ED barlow and various retailers sell them branded as they choose. Being 2" it wont fit in an ST80 but would work fine in your Quattro. If you dont have 2" eyepieces to barlow then possibly its a bit pointless. It cant go straight into the focuser as it's designed to sit at focuser+35mm extension that is supplied with the scope. I found this out after buying it, when I used it I use to just not put it all the way into the focuser which is a bit of a lame way around the problem.

I've since removed the barlow element and use the remainder of the body as a 50mm 2" extension with built in 1.25" converter, both with compression rings. I dont use the barlow element (or any barlow now).

I've read various reports about the rev 2.5x as being very good value for money. Its up to you to decide it 2.5x works for you and your eyepieces, the quality is good for what you pay. It's no celestron luminos (a premium 2.5x) but it should be good.

Hi Rob,

I have the 2x ED barlow. Optically its sound for the price you pay for it. It's essentially a GSO ED barlow and various retailers sell them branded as they choose. Being 2" it wont fit in an ST80 but would work fine in your Quattro. If you dont have 2" eyepieces to barlow then possibly its a bit pointless. It cant go straight into the focuser as it's designed to sit at focuser+35mm extension that is supplied with the scope. I found this out after buying it, when I used it I use to just not put it all the way into the focuser which is a bit of a lame way around the problem.

I've since removed the barlow element and use the remainder of the body as a 50mm 2" extension with built in 1.25" converter, both with compression rings. I dont use the barlow element (or any barlow now).

I've read various reports about the rev 2.5x as being very good value for money. Its up to you to decide it 2.5x works for you and your eyepieces, the quality is good for what you pay. It's no celestron luminos (a premium 2.5x) but it should be good.

Thank you - I was edging towards the x2.5 as they have had some good reviews (for the price) and based on what you said about the ED I think the x2.5 is the way to go. I know it wont compare against some of the more expensive ones but it will do me (for now) until I get better eyepieces> Thanks Again

I've owned both and, optically they are about the same quality. The issues that Stargazing00 describes are worth thinking about though - the barrel of the 2" ED is a bit too long to fully insert into many focuser drawtubes / diagonals which can cause issues with finding the focus position.

Both are pretty good quality for their costs though, I felt.

I've owned both and, optically they are about the same quality. The issues that Stargazing00 describes are worth thinking about though - the barrel of the 2" ED is a bit too long to fully insert into many focuser drawtubes / diagonals which can cause issues with finding the focus position.

Both are pretty good quality for their costs though, I felt.

Thanks John, I have decided and ordered the x2.5

Archived