Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fireball last night.

Peter Drew

Did anyone else see the fireball at 12.40am last night? It was travelling E to W parallel to the horizon about 1o degrees above the Moon. Had it not been for the bright Moon it would have really lit up the sky. The head was pure white and it had a short fan shaped tail which showed orange and green hues. No, I wasn't out observing, I was lying in bed looking out of a large Velux window and the fireball passed by dead centre! :smiley:

I saw a similar green/white fireball last month and another a week or so before although the first one i didnt see the colour as vividly.

Must be a bunch of debris we are going through at the moment. perhaps on the same apollo trajectory as the thing that hit russia?

EDIT, both i saw were very shallow angle and east to west direction

I didn't see that one. However, at 21:28 something past right through M44 in a SW to NE direction, I was quite lucky to see it as it appeared only seconds after I had achieved focus :laugh: and it wasn't hanging about.

My brother an I were lucky to catch this whizz past. I looked up from the scope at just the right time as my brother shouted "LOOK! LOOK!"

Twas rather big, and we seen it break into pieces as it faded out. Great sight!

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread ... an analysis of the fireball of 00:39 GMT on 30th March 2013 has now been published in the December 2013 Issue of WGN, the Journal of the International Meteor Organisation. A downloadable copy is available at http://www.nemetode.org/Papers/UK%20Fireball%2020130330_003910.pdf

Thanks to all who contributed - much appreciated.

Best regards

William

Archived