Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

a cornish obsy build

tony

who put the drawing up withe the sizes etc?

I uploaded the drawing used for my mount base, which does share a similarity to yours, so I can only presume I can take the credit for that ;)

I uploaded the drawing used for my mount base, which does share a similarity to yours, so I can only presume I can take the credit for that ;)

indeed you can malc :kiss::laugh:

what did you use for the pin, mine was cut off from a door handle spindle, drilled and tapped and a headless hex bolt/screw used to screw it down tight.

concrete is in, a very hot afternoon not helped by having to carry everything from front of house around to back.

nightshift next week so nothing doing until next weekend where i'll make a start on the shed itself.

late afternoon and early evening i got the last piece of ply fitted and just had to put the mount on :smiley:

IMAG1280_zpsf1fef98a.jpg

pieces for the rear wall all cut ready to assemble.

IMAG1281_zpsc6af9689.jpg

nearly done, a few more pieces then it'll be clad.

then it'll be the front and sidewalls together with the track supports.

IMAG1282_zps2e0b64ea.jpg

wont be able to complete the tracks this weekend as the timber supplier failed to deliver some outstanding pieces. :mad:

• Like 1

used roofing underlay to line the rear wall, this stuff is really good stuff, waterproof and breathable.

IMAG1283_zps7920ed07.jpg

IMAG1284_zpsb60ff488.jpg

glad i went for loglap, looks much better than shiplap or t & g.

also because of really strong winds today the decision was made to clad the wall in situ as it would have been near impossible to re - erect the wall afterwards.

IMAG1285_zpsac872781.jpg

and it was a little tight down that end getting past the block pier.

IMAG1286_zps3ce012b9.jpg

IMAG1288_zpsa719581a.jpg

and all done.

IMAG1289_zps5f0158ff.jpg

IMAG1290_zps86c86dca.jpg

nice seat in the sun for coffee, when i could get the wife out of it lol

IMAG1291_zps992f526e.jpg

r/h side wall partly up, will finish this tomorrow then make a start on the l/h side wall.

IMAG1292_zps680c2c43.jpg

doorway will be on r/h side here.

IMAG1293_zps9749e9e3.jpg

• Like 1

didnt get as much done as i had hoped, the wind is becoming a real pain in the rear end.

but end panel finished and a start made on the track supports.

IMAG1296_zps43328ea4.jpg

IMAG1298_zps312a3a19.jpg

IMAG1299_zps0e162391.jpg

IMAG1300_zpsa3143eae.jpg

a bit of bracing to hold the posts still in this wind until tomorrow when i hope to get this finished and make a start on the front.

rain due on wednesday so will be tarping over this to keep it dry.

• Like 1

only an hour or so after work but a start made on the front to get the middle support in place.

IMAG1302_zpsf19b656e.jpg

and this is what that wall was for, and the reason the obsy was on hold for a while.

IMAG1303_zps95c4863b.jpg

middle metpost missing as they were out of stock.

tomorrow i'm just going to get the front done without the noggins then 3 sheets of sterling board are going on the roof as a temp measure so i can throw a tarp over and get the sides done with the roofing underlay, rain due in tomorrow night and next few days :mad:

Wow - the rolling roof rails makes the structure look enormous. Making good and fast progress.

cheers mike.

got caught by the rain this evening whilst sheeting the front but just a shower.

all covered now and hopefully it'll be rainproof.

IMAG1305_zps76f46395.jpg

IMAG1306_zps9fe8026b.jpg

not a happy chap today, my waterproof tarpaulin isnt waterproof, a leak at the scope end and i have a soaking wet floor, and to make things worse its dripped right down the pipe for the usb and powercable so will be needing to pull some pieces of old towel or something through there at some point. approx 7.5 square metres of floorspace and it finds a 38mm spot to drip.

IMAG1310_zps7592a30c.jpg

no rain for next couple of days so i now need to turn my full attention to the roof,i finish early tomorrow at 2pm and have sat afternoon/evening to get as much done as i can, and i'm on nightshift from sunday night which isnt going to help either. so i may end up getting another tarp from somewhere else to throw over the one i have now.

finished the noggins yesterday and made a start on the internal patition which will have built in a diagonal brace, there 'was' an ever so slight wobble when you shook the rear wall, it gets really windy here so this has now stiffened up that wall.

IMAG1311_zpsb994ef4a.jpg

IMAG1308_zps2dea6133.jpg

popped into my old workplace to see if they had any odd windows, use to have an area for damaged and missmade.

i came away with this

IMAG1313_zpsb7b04d20.jpg

for the sum of.........

zero :rolleyes:

Diagonal bracing really does sure up things, You can have as many noggings as you like, but because they are all parallel to the top and bottom beams of the framework it can easily move. Placing opposing diagonal braces will make the structure a lot more sturdy.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=39486

• Like 1

not a happy chap today, my waterproof tarpaulin isnt waterproof, a leak at the scope end and i have a soaking wet floor, and to make things worse its dripped right down the pipe for the usb and powercable so will be needing to pull some pieces of old towel or something through there at some point. approx 7.5 square metres of floorspace and it finds a 38mm spot to drip.

Sorry to hear about the water getting in, I thought it was only me who had bad luck like that.

I suppose the worry is that the plywood will delaminate? My observatory floor got regular soakings during my build but as it was made from decking timbers it wasn't an issue. If using plywood flooring I guess one option would have been to fit the flooring after the structure was made weatherproof but this perhaps may be more hassle than it's worth?

I covered my conduit outlets with small plastics bags secured with elastic bands during the time that my build wasn't weatherproof.

The internal partition will certainly have added to the rigidity of the structure and once you get all the walls cladded you should get a further increase in rigidity.

Edited by r3i

Sorry to hear about the water getting in, I thought it was only me who had bad luck like that.

I suppose the worry is that the plywood will delaminate? My observatory floor got regular soakings during my build but as it was made from decking timbers it wasn't an issue. If using plywood flooring I guess one option would have been to fit the flooring after the structure was made weatherproof but this perhaps may be more hassle than it's worth?

I covered my conduit outlets with small plastics bags secured with elastic bands during the time that my build wasn't weatherproof.

The internal partition will certainly have added to the rigidity of the structure and once you get all the walls cladded you should get a further increase in rigidity.

didnt expect a brand new tarp to leak though, i have a sheet of dpm going over it tomorrow when i finish for the day, the tarp is going in the bin.

partition now complete.

removed the tarp and middle roof sheet to let some air in, and the floor has dried out pretty well too.

IMAG1315_zpsb796297b.jpg

front of the frame/pergola finished and track supports widened to 90mm, track itself is 55mm so room for adjustment if needed.

IMAG1314_zps9bcd8cbc.jpg

IMAG1317_zpsd6592434.jpg

IMAG1318_zpsb28be4cb.jpg

corner bracing to add to this tomorrow then making a start on the roof frame.

got some wheel brackets to make too, wont try to explain, i'll put a pic up when they're done, but if anyones' familiar with unistrut.