Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

a cornish obsy build

tony

managed a few hours after work but thats about it, too hot to be working in, but the floor is about 95% done.

i tried my best to give myself some shade

IMAG1248_zps9709b5cd.jpg

got the first piece of insulation in, only to make sure the noggins spacing were right to fit these inbetween.

IMAG1250_zpsb0d621a0.jpg

some weed control sheeting tomorrow and a few more noggins and the first 2 sheets of ply will take me right up to the edge of the pier hole, just right to tip the concrete in.

• Like 1

Looking good Tony. Have you placed a DPM on the walls under the frame that supports the joists ?

all in malc, you can just about make it out in the bottom pic.

training meant that i only managed a little bit today, and the obsy may be put on hold for a bit, twisted my damn knee again. we'll just wait see what tomorrow is like, typical.

anyway, insulation in and first sheet ready to go.

IMAG1251_zps2e005eb8.jpg

plastic pipe for data cable,not finished yet and need to thread a few lines through before its covered.

IMAG1253_zps35c6e4cf.jpg

Great work Tony - I'd pull some cables or cable pulls through your pipes before the floor goes down just in case they snag at the 90º bends

being done before it gets covered, still a bit more to fit yet.

If you could get some bends to replace the sharp elbows in your pipe uod'd find it much easier to pull cables through. USB cables are the worst for catching up.

With my build I made the underfloor cable run as short as possible by bringing up the pipe just inside the warm room, with bends at the horizontal to vertical (no other bends).

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

If you could get some bends to replace the sharp elbows in your pipe uod'd find it much easier to pull cables through. USB cables are the worst for catching up.

With my build I made the underfloor cable run as short as possible by bringing up the pipe just inside the warm room, with bends at the horizontal to vertical (no other bends).

120 degree bends are less prone to causing snagging, and go for 1 1/2" pipe... I made the mistake of using 1" waste and it caused me no end of headaches :mad:

Concur with the concern about the number of 90 degree bends in the pipework. I also used 40mm waste pipe and kept the run length as short as possible, i.e. from just inside the warm room partition to the edge of the pier, roughly 1.2m. I keep a length of braided nylon cord within the pipe in case I ever need to pull through any new cables.

Much the same here except I've got baling twine (very strong) being a smallholder/farmer. Baling twine is good for all sorts of things after it's been used for baling hay or straw.

Coming along very nicely now...

I also think that the 90 degree bends might be a problem. I would (and will) use 2 45 degree bends instead of a single 90 degree bend.

What are you using for the floor insulation? I haven't made my mind up what I will use and what you have looks quite good. I haven't found any thick Styrofoam yet...

I also think that the 90 degree bends might be a problem. I would (and will) use 2 45 degree bends instead of a single 90 degree bend.

What are you using for the floor insulation? I haven't made my mind up what I will use and what you have looks quite good. I haven't found any thick Styrofoam yet...

i bought rafter packs from wickes, worked out a little more than buying 8x4 sheets but by the time you pay for delivery theres not much difference. they come in packs of 3 and each slab is 610 x 402 x 60 and they compress into a smaller gap because of the way they're made. i've got them for the warmroom walls too as my frame is 65mm these will be a nice snug fit.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/polystyrene-rafter-insulation-boards-pk3/invt/210020/?source=123_74&tmcampid=104&tmad=c&tmplaceref=PPC_ggl_0006635&tmcustom=mkwid|W5fPyZGt|pcrid|7531858372|match||plid|&gclid=CNiM94nKp7gCFW_HtAodHmoAJA

i'm off out right now but i'll take a closeup pic later so you can see.

yesterday swapped the pipe for inch and a half, and i've had several goes pulling usbs through with not one snag, just wait till its done for real.

IMAG1255_zps03aa6c0c.jpg

shuttering in for the top of the pier hole, now that was a struggle not being able to kneel so i did it lying down :grin: the ducting will sit level with this bringing the pier to the height i want it at.

IMAG1256_zps80bd233f.jpg

today got the rest of the insulation in and the 2nd sheet.

IMAG1265_zps143ec6bf.jpg

tomorrow hopefully i will cut but not fix the last sheet, and then brace up the ducting ready for concreting on saturday, this will depend on the knee, as theres a fair bit of walking involved. :embarrassed:

last sheet cut and ready to fix when the pier has set. 9 inch hole for an 8 inch pier.

IMAG1266_zps7bb6d3ad.jpg

bracing in place ready for tomorrow afternoon, it looks really high but the top is 1500, mount and scope comes in at 330 parked horizontal and the top of the walls will be 1850,and about 10/15mm clearance for ror. i was going to go 1800 but the top of the doorway in my old shed was 1800 and i kept hitting the top of my head :mad: so not taking any chances.

IMAG1267_zps2065a594.jpg

12mm reebar right up through aswell.

all thats left is to align my adapter plate tonight and mark it with marker pen.

IMAG1271_zpsea118147.jpg

someone will recognize the pier adapter, the drawing with sizes was posted on sgl somewhere but cant remember who, i printed off a copy,bought the ali and got it machined at work, perfect fit.

Great progress Tony - the silver pier looks like some kind of rocket that you're about to launch. :smile:

lol, funny you should mention that, thats what my neighbour thought :laugh:

someone will recognize the pier adapter, the drawing with sizes was posted on sgl somewhere but cant remember who, i printed off a copy,bought the ali and got it machined at work, perfect fit.

Looks familiar :)

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=39726