Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

a cornish obsy build

tony

Good luck Tony with your obsy build - it's inevitable that wellmeaning advise takes the Sinatra line "I did it my way!" and so should you :police:

:icon_salut: thanks.

its not a case really of i did it my way because i want to, its because there are certain things that need not be done, therefore saving me time, and of course money, of which could be spent elsewhere.

i could span the rear 3.6m width with 9x2 and have no need for any centre support, there really is no need, and that may even be the route i take yet, but as it is atm its 6x2 with a centre supporting pier.

i dont want people reading this thread thinking that it has to be done this way,i'm not saying that at all, i am merely pointing out that certain things need not be done.

afterall, it is basically a shed, not a house. the timber being used is c16 construction grade timber, it has to be strength graded.

the 3 walls are doing 2 jobs for me, a strong base in which to build upon and also as someone pointed out "cosmetic", if i only used blocks on the corners i have a few large gaps to fill.

Sorry, I only mentioned 2 6x2s as that is what the span tables suggest. I expect 1 will be fine though I'd buy an extra £10 of wood myself and do it to proper spec if you haven't already ordered. If you have, we'll, I wouldn't bother changing your plans.

My treehouse is built (by my predecessor) from single beam 2x4s and is screwed, without notches, to the 4x4 supports. It's been up at least 8 years, maybe 10. The decking needs replacing and I'll stick some coach bolts in to take the wright off the screws, but I'm not rebuilding with double 2x6s nor 6x6 notched uprights.

Sorry, I only mentioned 2 6x2s as that is what the span tables suggest. I expect 1 will be fine though I'd buy an extra £10 of wood myself and do it to proper spec if you haven't already ordered. If you have, we'll, I wouldn't bother changing your plans.

My treehouse is built (by my predecessor) from single beam 2x4s and is screwed, without notches, to the 4x4 supports. It's been up at least 8 years, maybe 10. The decking needs replacing and I'll stick some coach bolts in to take the wright off the screws, but I'm not rebuilding with double 2x6s nor 6x6 notched uprights.

:wink::icon_salut:

• 2 months later...

holy moly, wheres the time gone :Envy: at blumming last the o/t at work has stopped for a while, now it leaves a bit more time to get going.

base almost complete,

IMAG1183_zpsc10997f1.jpg

been busy on other parts of the garden

IMAG1171_zps5c79ee32.jpg

IMAG1173_zps51ff7e40.jpg

IMAG1181_zps69c3c5b3.jpg

IMAG1185_zpsb65a7a68.jpg

IMAG1184_zps2b6af30e.jpg

doesnt look much in the pic but had to cut over this massive lump of granite. wasnt going to bother try and get it out, next door found one right where they were digging out foundations for their conservatory, it was one and a half ton :eek: so i though stuff that and just went over it, its only a garden wall after all.

IMAG1211_zps5b24ccce.jpg

not quite finished but theres quite a bit of room in behind so a lot thats been dug from elsewhere will backfill this when its done.

IMAG1216_zpsc73bf0c9.jpg

i wont try to explain what this bit is for, it'll become clearer when i actually get going on the shed itself, but the loose blocks across the gaps are to stop the wifes tortoises going walkabout :laugh:

IMAG1214_zpsbeb98720.jpg

IMAG1215_zpsbb471f17.jpg

• Like 1

doesnt look much in the pic but had to cut over this massive lump of granite. wasnt going to bother try and get it out, next door found one right where they were digging out foundations for their conservatory, it was one and a half ton :eek: so i though stuff that and just went over it, its only a garden wall after all.

My build was more like a quarry at times- had to dig down through several feet of solid rock..... Img_7278.jpg

My build was more like a quarry at times- had to dig down through several feet of solid rock..... Img_7278.jpg

one or two lumps there, you had to get yours out the way, i just went over it :grin: you had a fair bit to dig out though. :eek:

....the loose blocks across the gaps are to stop the wifes tortoises going walkabout :laugh:

Know the feeling re four legged friends (fast & slow ones).

Watching this Tony, looking good, great blockwork.

well i'm finished with this end nearly,

IMAG1220_zps39d16691.jpg

IMAG1221_zps013d44fa.jpg

a bit to do sat and sun afternoons at the far end in 2nd pic and with a bit of luck i'll be on the pier hole next weekend.

Edited by tony

might be more explanatory in this pic. you can see where i've placed 2 boltdown metposts, these two holes will be filled with concrete to bolt the metpost to and 4x4 timber posts in these that'll hold 5x2 timbers coming off the shed which in turn will hold the roof tracks, and ive checked that it'll clear my head to, by about 3 inches at the lowest end.

it will be a one piece rolloff, it was doing my head in trying to come up with something in a 2 parter that the obvious choice was a single roof, although i'm a long way off from that.

IMAG1223_zpsb4933d17.jpg

Edited by tony

at last, this part is now finished and i can concentrate fully on the obsy now :rolleyes:

yesterday

IMAG1226_zps4949980c.jpg

today

IMAG1227_zps4786b520.jpg

IMAG1231_zps464741d1.jpg

coping to go all round then plaster it all up.

weather permitting hole for the pier next weekend. :grin:

Edited by tony

now you can start to see why the obs was on hold for a bit, rather than build all that lot after and have loads of earth lying around I can just put it exactly where I want it.

IMAG1234_zps43085017.jpg

hole dug out but only reached 800 before I hit a massive granite rock which is hard to see in the pic, at least its pretty solid down there.

IMAG1236_zps7fd34910.jpg

all I got to do now is get this finished.

IMAG1237_zpsa39dbed2.jpg

tomorrows plan is to get two thirds of the floor in, this will bring me up to the edge of the pier hole so it'll make life a lot easier when it comes to tipping the concrete in.

going to need a little bit of shuttering too, and a bit of bracing to keep the ducting in exactly the right place.

more piccies tomorrow.

• Like 1

never got as much done as i hoped today, it was a bit too hot in the sun, but floorframe is almost complete.

IMAG1245_zps1d23c2d4.jpg

IMAG1244_zpscc899c67.jpg

had to mod the saw with the wifes dyson :laugh: the dust bag the comes with it is pants.

IMAG1243_zpscd280e1f.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good, but personally I would of added the 4th wall at the back next to the garden wall. I might be wrong, but that seems quite a span, that when the weight of the rest of the wall and roof is added still may flex

Looking good, but personally I would of added the 4th wall at the back next to the garden wall. I might be wrong, but that seems quite a span, that when the weight of the rest of the wall and roof is added still may flex

IMAG1246_zps7f14d3b9.jpg

not visable in the other two pics.

trust me malc, there wont be a problem, the weight of this is nothing to my shed at my old house.

Edited by tony