Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

a cornish obsy build

tony

It was difficult to appreciate the slope from your previous photos but it's very clear on these latest ones.

It's probably good that you can't do anything else for a week as it will give you plenty of thinking time to mull over your options.

I would hang the joists from the blockwork, so they won't add any height.

thats another idea in the pot, still need a wall plate though, 4x2 on the flat would do it and joist hangers to hang the 6x2's off.

Sweet, I am just down the road in Redruth. Let me know if you need a hand with anything, if I have time I would be happy to lend a hand.

Regards

Marc

cheers for that, but should be ok, got my 2 sons for labourers should the need arise. :grin:

I wouldn't recommend a split level floor - serious tripping hazard! :( Air bricks are definitely a good idea or you'll get damp problems.

• 2 weeks later...

this is painfully slow atm :( juggling this with shiftwork and other jobs at home too, but i have 2 weekends left before i go on hols and i'm hoping that the blockwork and other work indoors will be nearly if not all complete by the time i go then i'll be able to give this more attention.

anyway, a little bit more done yesterday afternoon.

IMAG0948_zps72d5852f.jpg

IMAG0949_zps0f2f6bfc.jpg

Hi Tony the garden wall looks very wonky is that going to cause you a problem ?

Gordon

its a boundry wall thats been there for years by the looks of it but as you say 'wonky', it follows the slope of the field behind.

but not a problem no. it also allows the horses to nose over.

Edited by tony

you can see the slope i have there now, so this is where i need to decide which of 3 routes to take,

go up another course, bearing in mind i still have 145mm joist and 12mm ply to go.

leave it as it is and dig out around the right hand side and put a path around that end below block level,

or a split level floor with the warmroom floor being higher than the scope half, the roof will be the same height all round though.

You call that a slope.........check out my obsy ground work! Dscf2783.jpgDscf2779.jpgDscf2792.jpgDscf2854.jpg

I'm puzzled... why only three walls - what are you proposing to do to support the floor at the rear by the wall

i knew i was missing something :laugh::p

i'll be removing that stump , which is roughly in the centre,then dig out a bit more and fill with concrete then laying 4" block flat to build a pier/support. my floor frame will be 6x2 so probably wont need much supporting anyway but i'm putting one there.

i'll be removing that stump , which is roughly in the centre,then dig out a bit more and fill with concrete then laying 4" block flat to build a pier/support. my floor frame will be 6x2 so probably wont need much supporting anyway but i'm putting one there.

I think malc meant support for the floor joists on the 4th wall, not in the centre where your pier will be. Are you planning to screw a wall plate to the existing wall, as suggested by dmahon ?

I think malc meant support for the floor joists on the 4th wall, not in the centre where your pier will be. Are you planning to screw a wall plate to the existing wall, as suggested by dmahon ?

Kev's right, that's what I was referring to. If you are opting for a suspended floor using joist hangers, I was wondering how you will support the rear section only having three dwarf walls in your construction. If you intend to use a wall plate fitted to the existing boundary wall, and then build the observatory it will place the rear wall very close to the brick wall and make regular maintenance such as applying the annual coat of preservative very difficult

Kev's right, that's what I was referring to. If you are opting for a suspended floor using joist hangers, I was wondering how you will support the rear section only having three dwarf walls in your construction. If you intend to use a wall plate fitted to the existing boundary wall, and then build the observatory it will place the rear wall very close to the brick wall and make regular maintenance such as applying the annual coat of preservative very difficult

its deceiving in the photo malc but there will be enough room to get behind. my rear wall wont be that close.

if i get the time i'll have a play with that sketchup and see if i can draw it up.

its deceiving in the photo malc but there will be enough room to get behind. my rear wall wont be that close.

if i get the time i'll have a play with that sketchup and see if i can draw it up.

That's fine, but if it's not that close, coming back to Malc's original question - how will you support the joists at the back of the observatory?!

i hope this answers your question, took me ages to get the hang this sketchup.

4x2 wall plate along the 3 dwarf walls, 6x2 hung across the rear supported by a block pier/pillar, 6x2 joists hung at 450 centres front to back.

IMAG0950_zpscf23a8db.jpg

Edited by tony

had a bit of a problem getting the block pier in the right place with sketchup but i hope the drawing is self explanatory. the garden wall will be approx 15 inches behind the rear joist.

You don't need more founds - use joist-hangers off the old wall - oh my giddy aunt :mad: Edited by nytecam

I don't wish to criticize your build, but I simply can't see the point of only building three very nice block walls on which to support the structure, and then cut a corner by spanning the gap at the back with a joist that is only supported in the middle. If it were me I would of dug the root out first and then dug out footings and built the dwarf wall all the way round.

Your plan may well work out... but I have my reservations.