Can you collimate an erecting prism?

Bill57

I have collimated my SC scope with the diagonal in place though some advise against this. But to start messing with something that by its very manufacture should be fixed at 45 degrees and square to the optic path is not something that should be undertaken without correct equipment. As to want that equipment is I have no idea. Leave well alone is my advice.

Alan.

Collimating one in the normal fashon is not applicable, what you may, and it is not probable, is to make sure that the prism is central. It could be off to one side and so some of the light does not enter the prism and so is lost. Will say that this is somewhat doubtful simply because I would say the prism will be a fair bit bigger then the light cone, so it would need to be quite a bit off centre to have any effect.

Would also doubt there is any method to adjust the position of the prism anyway.

Archived