which eyepiece should I get

momo

Hi folks

A week ago I received my skywatcher telescope. It's a 120mm refractor on a driven EQ5 mount (F8.3 and FL=1000). It came with a 28mm let eyepiece.

Lately I was thinking of eyepieces. Already found a few, but still I'm not sure which one to buy. Ofc I have to buy lots of eps, but also I'm low on budget so I have to buy them one by one :(

One I got in mind is a 5mm bst starguider ed eyepiece or the 8mm one. And the other option is a 5mm or 6mm tmb planetary eyepice. (starguider ep costs twice the tmb ep here)

Or a 12mm ed starguider ep + a 2x ed barlow.(will be the most expensive option)

I'm not sure if a 5mm ep will work fine with my scope (since the scope is a low end achromatic but we have clear sky most of the times here) and also I'm not sure that the scope is even worthy to buy that ed eyepiece.

Also I saw some positive reviews of super plossl eyepieces which will be the cheapest option.

As I said before I got my telescope a week ago and I'm not experienced. Just a web research in past week.

I will appreciate any ideas, suggestions, and tips.

peace :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I got three of them, couldn't choose. But you've allready have a nice widefield ep with 28 let, so indeed a 8 and a 12 or something will be nice. I have the 12, 18 and 25, in the future i'll surely get the 5 and 8 as well. clear skies!

Hiya,

The 5 will be almost on the limit of use to you - Just buy a decent 2XBarlow that will complete most of what you will need.

Your 12mm will become a 6mm , your 18mm a 9mm ( not too different from a 5 & 8 and cheaper ) :laugh:

Shaun

I have a TS barlow and I'm not ver

Hiya,

The 5 will be almost on the limit of use to you - Just buy a decent 2XBarlow that will complete most of what you will need.

Your 12mm will become a 6mm , your 18mm a 9mm ( not too different from a 5 & 8 and cheaper ) :laugh:

Shaun

I have a TS barlow and not very happy about the results to be honest. Imho the view is better (also during daylight) when not barlowed... But, to begin a collection of EP's its brilliant off course.

I have been not very happy with a few of TS products. I can't remember who it was but one member said it depends it it came from the top or the lower part of the pile as to whether it was any good, how right he was. There seems to a rather large variation in standards of their branded gear.

There is nothing wrong with barlows, just buy a good one.

Alan.

I did try a couple of barlows before one was about £10 and was rubbish - the other was £40 and was pretty decent.

The one I have now does not have any negative impact at all. :smiley: even with a 7mm eyepiece.

Asr bekheir

A warm welcome to the SGL and congratulations on you new telescope and mount, as for eyepieces you will not want them to be to heavy BST 8mm and 15 mm sounds good

clear skies

The 8mm BST is most likely the best to start off with, it will give good views of Jupiter and Saturn. 120x is good for both.

As has been said the 5mm is very likely as short as you will want to sensibly go.

To be honest the BST range is very likely a good match for the scope you describe.

I have the BST's and a couple of the TMB, the BST's come out better.

Hope you do not mind me asking, is it easy to get them in, or in to, Iran ?

I have been not very happy with a few of TS products. I can't remember who it was but one member said it depends it it came from the top or the lower part of the pile as to whether it was any good, how right he was. There seems to a rather large variation in standards of their branded gear.

There is nothing wrong with barlows, just buy a good one.

Alan.

On the one hand the ts stuff can be the same as the more well known brands (most stuff comes out of the two same factories anyways) but Alan, you also had a bad experience on a ED refractor right (read that on another thread i kinda remember). Best to buy a true brand then most of the times. Would like to use a proper barlow some day....

.... Would like to use a proper barlow some day....

If you get a chance, try a Tele Vue Powermate. They do the same job as a barlow but really seem to add nothing other than the magnification.

Hi there sorry to jump in on this thread but im kind of in the same boat!

After a lot of research and help from the guys at SGL i have decided to order a few eyepieces from BST ED range and currently have the 15mm and waiting for the 18mm and 25mm to arrive but i was also looking for a "good barlow"

I hear a lot of people saying all you need is a good barlow but not many people put names or models to them, after some digging around i have shortlisted 3 models all available from FLO or generally online!

option 1 - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-deluxe-2x-barlow.html - Skywatcher 2 x barlow, i like this one for the price and it got good reviews in the sky at night mag

option 2 - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/revelation-astro/revelation-astro-25x-barlow.html - Revelation Astro 2.5x barlow, i like this one as its still a good price but is 3 element and i like the 2.5x mag as it makes my EP selection work very well i can get 10mm, 8mm, 6mm and 4mm out of my current EP range (or close enough)

option 3 - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-q-225x-barlow.html - Baader Q classic - Not sure on this one its most expensive (£45) and its 2.25x which make a lot of my EP have odd sizes but i have read reviews and what some ppl on SGL say and they seem to be really good

I only want to use the barlow to obtain more choice in terms of mag but i dont want the image to be altered too much by it as i suspect just using the EP alone would be the best all round!

Any help on this would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance!

The Baader Q-Turret Classic 2.25x is the best one in terms of optical quality of those three. I've owned / used them all and have the Baader on loan at the moment for review purposes.

Whether the additional price is worth it for the extra performance I guess is up to you. The Revelation is not a bad one either but the Baader is better - you would not notice it's there really, which is the best compliment that a barlow can get !

I don't know what scope you are using but bear in mind that all barlows move the focus position of the eyepiece a bit, usually inwards.

Thanks John,

My scope is a celestron astromaster 114eq which is a 1000m f/9 scope with 114mm app so not sure if that makes a difference to the choices i make regarding a barlow!

I am not massively concerned about the price difference as its only about £7 but i did like the 2.5x mag on the Revelation as it gives me a very even spread of magnifications!

At the end of the day if i do get a barlow i want it to be as transparent as possible so unless anyone can suggest a better 2.5x barlow or even 2x one in the £30-£60 price range then i will go for the baader!

Thanks for the advice!

Momo,

Congratulations on the new scope and mount

I would tend to agree with Bart on this one, it will give you a spread of focal lengths and the BST' are well thought of on this site.

Alan.

Momo,

Congratulations on the new scope and mount

I would tend to agree with Bart on this one, it will give you a spread of focal lengths and the BST' are well thought of on this site.

Alan.

Tnx Alan. I've been lucky that could find this cool community. cheers :)

Asr bekheir

A warm welcome to the SGL and congratulations on you new telescope and mount, as for eyepieces you will not want them to be to heavy BST 8mm and 15 mm sounds good

clear skies

Hi doug.

Since the focuser is not a quality one, so I have to keep the weight in mind. Nice point mate.

cheers :)

The 8mm BST is most likely the best to start off with, it will give good views of Jupiter and Saturn. 120x is good for both.

As has been said the 5mm is very likely as short as you will want to sensibly go.

To be honest the BST range is very likely a good match for the scope you describe.

I have the BST's and a couple of the TMB, the BST's come out better.

Hope you do not mind me asking, is it easy to get them in, or in to, Iran ?

Tnx for sharing the experience Ronin.

It's nearly impossible to buy something from internet and receive it in iran :(

But there is a good range of products of cool brands here in the market. Tho the price is a little bit higher then its normal (compared to the internet shops), but still we have access to nearly all great brands here.

There is nothing that you may need and you can't find it in the market here in iran, just as I said before it's a little bit expensive, which it's not a big deal.

peace :)

Well Guess i'll be opening this with a 8mm ep and a good filter. Then will get a 12mm and a 2x barlow in a month or so. Then the rest of eps (15,18).

Any ideas on filters? or should I even go for them?

And Tnx so much guys. Been so helpful to me. Nice to meet you people :)

Archived