Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi folks,

Normally I process my raw files through DSS and then Photoshop but I thought I would try to improve my processing techniques using PixInsight

This is a zipped Fits file produced by PixInsight v1.8 RC5 using the BatchPreProcessing script but to be honest I'm not even sure if the Fits file is a. processed through PI correctly and b. if it is, then I'm slightly bemused by the file contents and where to go with it.

The rar file is a 150Mb download and contains a 600Mb Fits file so I fully understand if people shy away from playing with it.

All of the images were shot on my Canon 7D and Canon 600mm f4 prime lens and the raw CR2 files were used. I loaded 30 x 240 second and 30 x 60 second lights, 20 x 240 second and 20 x 60 second darks, 20 x flats and 30 x bias frames into the script and pressed run and the zipped file was the output.

I like to hear from anyone if they have any ideas on the correctness of the processing and what can be achieved with the Fits file.

Using DSS to stack the images, a few PI functions and PS I have got this image from the data

m101_dss_raw_crop_dbe_hist_acsnr_wav_ps.jpg

Hi

The fit file shows 2 images of rejected pixels ( hi and low ) and these show to many rejected and you need to run the intergration module on its own with a higher sigma setting :)

The 3 image is your stacked sub , which I just ran DBE-Colour calibration-histogram tran- ACDNR-and a bit os a sat boost

Harry

post-4081-0-98779900-1364421213_thumb.jp

Hi

The fit file shows 2 images of rejected pixels ( hi and low ) and these show to many rejected and you need to run the intergration module on its own with a higher sigma setting :)

The 3 image is your stacked sub , which I just ran DBE-Colour calibration-histogram tran- ACDNR-and a bit os a sat boost

Harry

Thank you Harry, that's a good pointer to progress with :)

Now downloading, something to play with while I wait for the cloud to clear :)

Now downloading, something to play with while I wait for the cloud to clear :)

Have fun lol.

Just had a go at rebalancing it a bit by splitting the fit file into separate RGB components (16bit), saving it off, then recombining in PS with noels actions. One thing I noticed is that is very green heavy, a bit unusual as I normally find myself reading the riot act to the red channel instead - HLVG soon sorted the green out anyway.

A bit of high pass filter, then a light touch of NR to finish (just to tidy up the background a bit).

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=88654

It could be pushed further with the LLRGB method, but I need to prepare in case its clear tonight :)

post-5513-0-43378700-1364501294_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Just had a go at rebalancing it a bit by splitting the fit file into separate RGB components (16bit), saving it off, then recombining in PS with noels actions. One thing I noticed is that is very green heavy, a bit unusual as I normally find myself reading the riot act to the red channel instead - HLVG soon sorted the green out anyway.

A bit of high pass filter, then a light touch of NR to finish (just to tidy up the background a bit).

It could be pushed further with the LLRGB method, but I need to prepare in case its clear tonight :)

If you want to play with the raw Fits file that PixInsight produced after a pointer from Harry, the 200Mb file is here https://dl.dropbox.c...peCZ1z_S-w&dl=1

my final version is in this thread

Cool, will take a look at that later. I noticed some vertical banding in the red channel, have removed that now:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=88656

post-5513-0-36614100-1364502449_thumb.jp

Cool, will take a look at that later. I noticed some vertical banding in the red channel, have removed that now:

How did you remove the banding?

Noels actions, it can remove vertical or horizontal banding. Its well worth getting, cheap as chips too :)

Noels actions, it can remove vertical or horizontal banding. Its well worth getting, cheap as chips too :)

I've got them :) never found that action lol

There's a script in PI to get rid of Canon camera peculiarities too Kev :)

There's a script in PI to get rid of Canon camera peculiarities too Kev :)

Thank you Tim I'll take a look. Is there anything in there to help remove incompetance? :)

No, but plenty to make you feel it :p

• Like 1

PS, I really like Rob's version above :)

PS, I really like Rob's version above :)

me too :) , my final version is here which I'm pleased with

Well, it turned out to be cloudy! So I worked on this LLRGB version with a layered core:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=88657

post-5513-0-73156300-1364514842_thumb.jp

me too :) , my final version is here which I'm pleased with http://stargazerslou...706-m101-final/

It's nice Kev, but a bit too yellowy perhaps. Rob has the colours about right really. M101 is a great target, more fuzzies than you can shake a stick at!

Well, it turned out to be cloudy! So I worked on this LLRGB version with a layered core:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=88657

thats a bit nice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

Nice work peeps... and as a DSLR user it's great to see what can be achieved albiet with an "exotic" camera lens...

Peter...

after seeing Robs version maybe my M101-final image isn't so final lol. It's a steep but rewarding learning curve.

Well, you did do 99% of the work already Kev :) All it needed was a few tweaks.