SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 130P and Sony A200

I have been advised that it is not possible to use a DLSR with a Skywatcher 130P but I have read on the internet that using a barlow eye piece with a T adaptor works. Can anyone confirm this? An example of a photo taken through the 130P would be nice too :)

If it works with a Canon DSLR then I think it should work with the Sony as the register distance is very similar. Might be worth a search for posts relating to imaging with a Canon DSLR with the 130P and a barlow to see if anyone has done so successfully.

James

correct me if i'm wrong i probably am, but i think the 130p is fine for use with a dslr , isnt it the 130m or something like that ,has trouble with focus on dslr's , due to the mirror being different.

My wife did stipulate the intention of using the scope to take photo's when she ordered it but now I seem to be being advised otherwise. I am ordering a barlow anyway so I think I will get a cheap t ring off ebay and give it a try.

I have taken photos through an eyepiece which were actually not bad but I want to fix the camera in place and try to get some planet shots :)

correct me if i'm wrong i probably am, but i think the 130p is fine for use with a dslr , isnt it the 130m or something like that ,has trouble with focus on dslr's , due to the mirror being different.

The 130M has a longer focal length spherical mirror, AFAIR. I don't think the 130P is free of the problem though. The description of the 130PDS says that it has a shorter tube than the 130P to allow easier focusing with cameras which suggests there's a problem with the 130P at least some of the time.

James

Isn't this a case that to attach and image on a DSLR there is insufficent inwards travel so you need to replace the focuser with a lower profile one? At least for prime focus imaging.

For planetary imaging a barlow is best used in any case as planets are generally bright enough that the magnification can be handled OK with regards to brightness.

I've read that the problem can be solved by moving the primary further up the OTA using longer colimation bolts. James F is correct in saying that the 130PDS is fine with a DSLR at prime focus, the 'P' & 'M' versions arnt.

Steve

BTW with planetry imaging you'd be a lot better off using a webcam as DSLR's are more suited to DSO imaging.

Archived