SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M42 (first attempt at it)

iancandler

This is my first attempt at orion.

10 x 5 second exposures @F3.5

14 x 5 second exposures @F2.8

Stacked in registax then imported as tiff to photoshop

DSO enhanced, gradient removed, de noised and finaly the house below painted out.

Samsung GX10 with Sigma 28mm f2.8 lens on the merlin mount.

*now I'm more awake here's a little more detail*

Shooting wise I set the camera on manual, jpeg, 10mp and had all the adjustment sliders in their center positions.

program line was set to MTF

I shot at ISO 400, self timer with 2s delay to avoid shake when the mirror went up and used a cable remote with locking button (in case I wanted to do any bulb shots)

Apeture ring was enabled and the camera set to manual focus.

re processing... here's what I used and did...

I took the shots and immediatly after took a 30 second dark frame.

After adding the pics to registax I added the dark frame.

I then aligned them in registax 4 using mulitpoint alignment (6 points) to counter any rotation as I only have the alt az mount up and running at present.

I then ran through the optomise and stack routines and just adjusted the wavlets until I got the best pic with the detail I wanted.. I wasnt to bothered about the nebula at that point and concentrated on the stars.

I then adjusted the gamma in registax by reducing it at its center point to darken the sky and get rid of the light pollution to some degree.

I then saved as a tiff file and moved to photoshop.

after opening in photoshop I converted the image to 8bits from 16, duplicated the layer and then used a set of actions called astronomy tools ver 1.4 by noel carboni.

I started by running deep space noise reduction

then duplicated the layer again and adjusted the opacity to taste.

I then ran Soft gradient removal and again adjusted the opacity then merged the layer and duplicated.

I then ran Enhance DSO and reduce stars (I think I ended up running this on two seperate layers and merging them for greater depth)

After running this I zoomed into the nebula area so it filled my screen and using a 1 pixel eraser brush started to cut around the red and green pixels manually so as to remove the background and leave just the nebulosity and embedded stars.

After making sure I had all the nebulosity on that layer I used a large brush to erase the rest of the layer leaving just the nebulosity.

I then used a small eraser brush set to 50% opacity to reduce the bloom on the stars within the nebula.

Finally I zoomed out and reduced the opacity on the layer to around 75% until it looked right.

I then merged the visable layers and duplicated that layer and ran a little plug in called de noise (freeware on the net) making sure I nailed some of the noise but without loosing to much detail.

Usually I would run crispimage before or after the de noise plug in but the image didnt need it.

Finally I merged all the layers and saved.

The process needs refining and I will probably re work the psd file I saved at some point as I started processing images at around midnight and finished at 3 am this morning!! but then it was my first attempt so there was a lot of trial and error going on.

I finally crawled into a nice hot bed at around 4 am this morning...

Archived