Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

PaulR18

My First Moon Images

I've had my scope a couple of weeks now and although I intended on using it purely for viewing I couldn't resist trying it out on the moon.

So this is one my first pictures. Used my 200p Dob and a Sony A200 DSLR. I know its far from perfect as I find focusing difficult through the camera viewer so alot of trial and error is involved.

Thanks for looking and any feedback is welcomed as I'm totally new to this.

post-29520-0-94877000-1364310824_thumb.j

• Like 1

Well done Paul, that is a great image and congratulations on getting the hang of astro imaging so early on in your hobby!

Great shot!

Perhaps you can try focusing through live view at x5. Works for me :)

The A200 doesn't have live view, does it?

The focus looks pretty good to me. What I'd try doing next is getting a good sequence of shots to stack them allowing you to pull out some more detail.

James

How do you stack an image? Is there free software that does it and is it relatively simple?

Registax is probably the tool of choice for stacking lunar disc images. Ideally you want to start with the raw images from the camera rather than JPEGs, but if you do Registax can't read them so you'll need something like PIPP to convert them to TIFF (and it does a load of other good stuff too).

James

Thanks for that. I'll give it a bash.

Sorry meant to say the A200 doesn't have live view hence the problems getting the focus just right.

I pretty much only use my telescopes for viewing but also try and catch the odd snapshot of the moon or sun now and then. Good picture especially for a first try.

That looks pretty good to me, especially for a first attempt! Was it hand held Paul, or have you got a T mount for the camera? If it was hand held it is very good indeed!

I'm still struggling with focus and my camera has live view and I link it to my laptop through EOS Utility so I have an even bigger screen to view the image!

Be very careful though! Astro-photography is very addictive and like any addiction, it can get VERY expensive! :grin: