SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

*** - Sixpenny Handley Star Party 2013 - ***

Hi Alan and Linda,

I had planned to attend, but I received an invitation to a christening in Ireland next Sunday 6th October .

So I am off to Ireland.

I will be flying over the site on Saturday morning on Aer Lingus from Heathrow to Cork.

Trust you are having a good time in Wales.

I intend going to Galloway in November.

Look forward to meeting up again......

Cheers

Adrian

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello.

First daily update.

I actually got a couple of hours observing last night, for a while I had completely clear skys. Very good seeing. then the clouds came in :sad:

Weather wise it's quite warm but has been overcast so far today. And some light rain has been coming and going.

M....

Hi Mark,

The weather looks more promising for Friday and Saturday nights.

According to the Scope Nights app on my iPad the predicted weather for the Salisbury area is:

Friday night rain till 22:00, then clear intervals to 01:00, 01-04 CLEAR skies!!!....... 04-07 clear intervals.

Saturday night is 19:00 to 01:00am CLEAR skies, and then clear intervals until 07:00 on Sunday morning.

The humidity is going to be high, so dew could be a problem.

I only loaded this app this morning on a recommendation.

I would like to know if possible how accurate it is, as it aimed at astronomers.

Hoping for clear skies.

Cheers

Adrian

We'll be there on Saturday.......once we've managed to get rid of the mother-in-law, who'se been with us now for almost 3 weeks after being taken ill. I've been doing major observatory renovations, strangely enough coinciding with her arrival, so have been hiding down the garden all day every day!!

Got all the gear nearly loaded. I`ve decided to take both scopes and everything else I might need for some good clear skies. 

I guess there is going to be quite a bit of dew though.

Will be departing work at midday on Friday, so should be there 3pm ish. 

Hope you managed to enjoy the clear periods last night!

I'm fairly local (nr Fontmell) - am going to come over this afternoon and camp for a couple of nights with my son. Look forward to meeting a few folks and hopefully get some observing in!

Hi folks,

Trust the data age has reached the camp site!

I fly over Salisbury about 09:50 am this morning.

It was cloud all the way to the Bristol Channel, clear over the channel, then cloud again to St Davids then clear to Cork.

Beautifully sunny in Mallow County Cork.

How is the weather at the site?

Trust Alan and Linda have arrived with the beer tent...

Have a great time

Cheers

Adrian

Well IT & me made it home.

I had a great week, 2 & a bit fantastic nights. Got to see the milky way, LOTS of shooting stars, a fantastic lightnig storm, a moth the size of a  stealth bomber & i think i even got some good data (we'll see).

Thanks to everyone who helped me out & Mark for organising it 

I'll get some pics up later, after Pizza & a bath.

Cheers

Thanks Mark for organising the event. It was my wife's first star party and first time camping needles to say Julie is now hooked. There's even talk of better tents and camping cookers. The last two nights were very good stayed out until 3am both nights. Hope we can do it again next year for the whole week.

Hi All,

Gald you enjoyed it, even those who were around for the wind and rain nights....

I will be organising again next year and have already got the go ahead from the site. It will be earlier than this year though, aiming for mid September to increase our chances with the weather and avoid conflict with other events around the same time. Keep those diaries clear....

AstroGnome - another big thanks :icon_salut: :icon_salut: from us for organising the event. Nice, laid back ( if anyone remembers the Gregg Allman album :grin: ) and friendly atmosphere, plenty of good banter and you even organised the most extraordinary skies for both the Saturday and Sunday nights......... It was great to see the milky way clearly for both the nights we were there, even if the dew problems were massive.

It was good to get reaquainted with people that we had first met at SGL8 ( you all know who you are :laugh: ) and to meet new friends. I think the atmosphere of Sunday night will probably go down in history :evil: :evil: :evil: ( need I say more? ) .....

Once again, many thanks and hopefully we'll see you all again next year.

Alan

Ps. Not so sure about the 'friendly' attitude of the owner, but his wife seems to be very similar.

Just thought I'd post a few images for those who wish to remember:-

post-17616-0-59076100-1381241105_thumb.j

Just before the fun began on Saturday night

post-17616-0-25024500-1381241121_thumb.j

A quick Cassiopeia and Perseus ( rotated as I don't know how to change it in a post :shocked::evil: )

post-17616-0-66068000-1381241176_thumb.j

The Saturday afternoon crowd ( note KevUU lurking in the background by his car )

post-17616-0-48290000-1381241229_thumb.j

Who said dew was not a problem? My car mirror late on Sunday morning.

Alan

Archived