DGM Optics filters

Conna

Hi

I was just wandering what the difference between the NPB and the VHT filters are, and does anybody know where you can get them from in the UK

I heard that the NPB is better then UHC filters but I have read that the VHT is better for smaller scopes (I have a 150 Dob).

Is the difference similar to OIII and UHC. One is better for smaller scopes?

I know that sounds a bit weird but I wanted a nebula filter which handled light pollution and was going to buy a baader UHC, but read about the DGM Optics filters, the write up was great and was looking at buying one of these instead?

When I ordered mine, it arrived 3rd say after :)

NPB is slightly narrower pass band than UHC. It would depend on your scope and exit pupil as to which would perform best, but under dark skies I'd hazard a guess that the NPB would perform, better.

Nebula filters in general are narrow band pass, some narrower than others. these are extremely agressive filters that will crop a lot of light, including LP.

They aren't any real use for anything other than nebulas. If you are looking for a light pollution filter for non nebula targets then this is not that filter, you'd be better off with a baader neodynium filter which is moon & skyglow (IR cut) combined. Useful filter for some things if the orange washout on the sky gets to you. I have one and use it occasionally.

Just looked at FLO and there on there for £50 so I think that's what I'll get

I have to say, this sites brilliant, I don't know where I'd be without it (buying the incorrect items and scope probably) thanks to everyone!

Yeah I've been thinking about what I actually want out of my nights out gazing, I do love the nebula but I also can spend a lot of time just looking at Jupiter, but the light pollution is starting to get me down. So I think the Neodynium may be a good first filter and then follow it with a UHC. I also need to update the stock EPs I have just brought a BST 15mm but need a better low power then the stock 25mm. So lots to think about?

Thank again for the advice

Ok I am going the eyepiece route, but I have some questions:

I'm looking at a low power ep, do I go with a 30/32mm or do I replace the 25mm stock ep

If the 25 is the way to go what is best the BST or an x-cell (both come in 25) but if a 30+ what should I go for looking at the BST x-cell price range? The celestron plossl looks ok

My scope is F8 150p Dob?? Help needed

Hi. A 32mm plossl with 50 degrees apparent field of view shows the same true field of view as a bst 25mm which shows 60 degrees apparent field of view. This Is at the maximum limit of true field a 1.25" can show which is why bst (which all have 60' afov as a constant) don't come lower power than a 25mm

On that basis id get the 25mm bst as the wider view is more pressing compared to the longer plossl

Hi. A 32mm plossl with 50 degrees apparent field of view shows the same true field of view as a bst 25mm which shows 60 degrees apparent field of view. This Is at the maximum limit of true field a 1.25" can show which is why bst (which all have 60' afov as a constant) don't come lower power than a 25mm

On that basis id get the 25mm bst as the wider view is more pressing compared to the longer plossl

Sorry to correct you, but a 32mm plossl will show a true FOV about 7% wider than a 25mm@60. That's not a lot, and if the edge behaviour of the EP (or scope for that matter) is not up to the job, then that amount or more is easily lost.

It's no problem, i looked at the figured on my three scopes and figured they were so close that the 60 degree AFOV would be more pleasing than the plossl.

my 2 scopes show

ST120 - BST = 2.5' Plossl = 2.67'

150P - BST = 2.0' Plossl = 2.13'

10" Dob BST = 1.25' Plossl = 1.33'

basically the same

Yup, 7% give or take :D

The BST 25mm is nearly there, but to match the 32mm plossl requires an SWA - 24mm at 68 degrees aFOV is a popular format (Hyperion, Panoptic, Meade SWA...) because it maxes out the true FOV of the 1.25" barrel.

Sorry for being a pedant :evil:

So the BST In my scope comes out at 1.25 but the plossl comes out at 1.333 would there be much of a difference between them, especially if I was to get the 32mm celestron omni plossl.

Also is the price difference between the 25mm BST and the same X-Cel worth it (about £25)?

I'm getting very confused what to get, has anyone used these in a 150p Dob?

• 10 months later...

I used my DGM NPB filter for the first time tonight on the owl and Eskimo nebulas. Very poor conditions. Thin intermittent cloud and lots of sodium street lighting in a town. The filter made the Eskimo much more vivid and brought out detail that wasn't there without the filter, I was also able to get some good magnification on it.

The owl nebula was literally invisible without the filter and it almost magically appeared fairly clearly when I put it on my 28mm EP. Can't say better than that given the conditions. Can't wait to get onto a dark site with it. Very impressive stuff and better than I expected for sure.

Max

The DGM NPB filter got a cracking review from David Knisely on the "Cloudynights" forum. He is considered quite a Guru on filters and felt the DGM NPB slightly out performed even the Lumicon UHC.

Archived