SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

from EQ3-2 to Astrotrac tt320x-ag ?

Gonzo

Guys,

I'm thinking about selling my EQ3-2 (with dual axis motors and direct drive mod) and get an Astrotrac tt320x-ag.

The EQ3-2 is ok, it's portable but.... it always takes time to get it ready and the play in the gears is annoying. I also don't like the cheap bendy bolts.

If you own an Astrotrac, could tell me if this is a good move?

Can't comment regarding the EQ3 mount, but remember that with an AstroTrac you need a fairly sturdy tripod and 2 heads (preferably a geared head and a ball head) in addition to the AstroTrac itself. If you do guide it, it will be in RA only so polar alignment must be spot on.

When I got mine I already had a very sturdy tripod and various heads as well as a camera and lenses so I was ready to go.

Its something I have often considered, the simplicity of it and the quality of the tracking but then I can get 10 min subs with my EQ3 and as Stuart says, you need the extras which all add up to lots of money.

Pros; No need for guiding, very portable, quicker set up (or is it? Accurate PA is critical) Cons; Cost. For me I couldnt justify it.

But I am a huge fan of the Astrotrac

I was thinking of going full monty and get the 'travel system', it includes everything you need.

I did this and it wasn't a good move (for me). The Travel System is lovely, and can carry a lot of weight but hang an 80mm F6 APO on it and the limitations of an RA-only guided mount become apparent. Polar alignment has to be absolutely spot on for those sorts of focal lengths.

My best results came with <300mm camera lenses anyway, so the Holiday Special would be perfectly usable. I will be picking up another one at some point I'm sure.

The maximum quoted load capacity will probably be a bit generous. If it isn't, I am almost 100% sure that you would have to balance the load properly by using a head similar to the TH3010 with counterweights.

Regarding polar alignment, I am not sure about using drift alignment. I would have thought it all depends on what type of head you are using, a ball head wouldn't be any good for this I would have thought?

Its something I have often considered, the simplicity of it and the quality of the tracking but then I can get 10 min subs with my EQ3 and as Stuart says, you need the extras which all add up to lots of money.

Strewth, I wish I could get 10 min subs with my EQ3, I can only manage about a minute lol

Strewth, I wish I could get 10 min subs with my EQ3, I can only manage about a minute lol

I think 10 min is do-able if your polar alignment is spot on. But I'm starting to get annoyed with the EQ mount.

Trust me, the 10 min subs are really tough to get, a massive overhaul on the mount, direct drive motors, guiding, sand bags, spot on PA, small camera lens etc... But 90% of the time im at 500 seconds which with the EQ3 im still over the moon with.

Im not annoyed with the mount yet, far from it, im always surprised at the results

Archived