Controlling HEQ5 syntrek

jabberwocky

Well the AP bug seems to have bitten, so its time to get an eq mount.

im looking at the HEQ5, I've done a bit of research and I could buy the syntrek version and save a bit of money and then control it with eqmod on a laptop via an EQDIR adapter such as the hitec astro one.

as I don't currently have a laptop and would be building up the imaging setup bit by bit so would use the mount for visual to begin with, can you connect sky safari on an iPad, which I do have, via sky wire to the EQDIR to control the mount or does it only connect to the synscan handset itself?

or are EQDIR adapters only compatible with EQMOD?

also is everything done through USB ports or do I need a laptop with different ports?

If you want to use SkySafari then I believe you will require a synscan handset. The reason is that Skysafari doesn't "talk" the native language of the mount and needs the handcontroller to translate to/from Nexstar protocol and also to implement the associated telescope control functions (the mount controller itself doesn't know a thing about astronomical coordinates or movement).

The only software that I know of that is capable of controlling a syntrek mount via an EQDIR is EQMOD and EQMAC (EQMOD inspired software for macs).

Chris.

Hee hee.

See you're going to take the plunge then?

You can still do visual with the Syntrek. In fact, I much prefer it as the GOTO isn't the most accurate beast in the World unless you have a permanent set up. Once found, Syntrek will still track the object for you and it gives you the 'fun' of finding the object still.

You'll need a laptop when you start guiding anyway (which you'll want to very soon) so I would save my bucks, buy a Syntrek and then get an EQDIR module when you need to start hooking up a laptop.

Just my opinion though.

Re the other question, such as USB, yup ... they all use USB but you will need either a USB to serial adaptor or an EQMOD DIR.

By the way. Which scope are you thinking of using on the HEQ5?

If its the 200p, just be warned (I found this out) the weight soon builds up for AP and before you know it the mount is under spec. Scope, camera, guide scope with guide camera, due heaters etc. etc.

Just be prepared!

Oh and by the way..... Welcome to the money pit....

I'm thinking of going down the small apo route scope wise, the ED80 seems a popular scope and very much in my price range. Or an equinox maybe.

not sure what to go for camera wise, I have a Nikon DSLR but its old and bottom of the range so I guess I need to get a canon DSLR or a beginner CCD

Archived