Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

paul mc c

Supernova in M65

Here's my pic from just now:

post-1391-0-75185100-1364682663_thumb.jp

What do you think? Doable?

Nice picture Tim. :smiley:

Doable ? - with a 20" under a dark sky, perhaps. With my scopes, no :sad:

Tried for this for some time last night. Given that the moon was on its way up and I live in the middle of a town (lights all off after midnight though) my chances were slim. In the past i'd struggled to even find the galaxies!

I thought I had got it last night but I checked Stellarium, the best I managed last night with visual observation were 2 13th magnitude stars in M66 (i was even looking at the wrong one it seems...) Even so, i find that quite impressive given then conditions.

Hopefully after I flock my 10" I may get better contrast to help with observation, it may even be visible then - it'll be flocked by next weekend. It'll be some time yet till I upgrade to a 12" or 14" at which point i'd expect I would've had a greater chance of seeing this.

Apparently at the SDSO they could clearly see the SN, but yes, they have a 20" and dark skies!

Apparently at the SDSO they could clearly see the SN, but yes, they have a 20" and dark skies!

Here's my snap from tonight - SN brightness essentailly contant and no brighter :cool:

post-21003-0-16994200-1364855968_thumb.j

• Like 1

I think this one has peaked now. Not an especially bright one.

There will be others though. I've managed to spot half a dozen or so in the past few years. The bright ones seem to reach around mag 12-ish.

Got a fantastic view of M65 tonight with my 16" from a moderately dark sky. Studied it for ages but the SN was beyond me. At Mag 16 it was always going to be an outside chance.

I've got it with the camera (image to be posted elsewhere when processed) but not a hope visually with my 250PX. The faintest star that I could trace using stellarium was mag 11.8. I could see fainter ones but I can't click on them to investigate.

I'm on this myself at the moment

hoping to get enough subs to smooth the murk out a bit

Steve

I imaged the Leo Triplet April 4th with my AT8in and failed to find the super nova in the image. Maybe two hours and sixteen minutes is not enough exposure time, or it's magnatude is beyond my scope's reach.

I imaged the Leo Triplet April 4th with my AT8in and failed to find the super nova in the image. Maybe two hours and sixteen minutes is not enough exposure time, or it's magnatude is beyond my scope's reach.

Stars need aperture to go faint - I can snap this SN in 30s exp via my 30cm SCT. More exposure is better but it certainly doesn't need hours ;-0

here's my 30s exp shot including 'raw' :cool:

post-21003-0-88605800-1365583720_thumb.j

post-21003-0-90505600-1365584102_thumb.j

Edited by nytecam

My pic from Thursday night - the SN seems to be fading :eek:

post-21003-0-92690500-1365864695_thumb.j

Yes, from that pic it does for sure seem to be fading. And not just a little either! Can someone else confirm this?

Tonight's pic Apr 15....under very poor transpaency eg NELM 3.4 but cam cut through :Envy:

post-21003-0-64191400-1366065096_thumb.j

Getting a little behind with postings [usually <24hrs!] with SN for April 18 in 30s - adequate to record now fading mag 17 SN but may post deeper pic too :cool:

post-21003-0-48909600-1366443837_thumb.j