SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Supernova in M65

paul mc c

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried for this for some time last night. Given that the moon was on its way up and I live in the middle of a town (lights all off after midnight though) my chances were slim. In the past i'd struggled to even find the galaxies!

I thought I had got it last night but I checked Stellarium, the best I managed last night with visual observation were 2 13th magnitude stars in M66 (i was even looking at the wrong one it seems...) Even so, i find that quite impressive given then conditions.

Hopefully after I flock my 10" I may get better contrast to help with observation, it may even be visible then - it'll be flocked by next weekend. It'll be some time yet till I upgrade to a 12" or 14" at which point i'd expect I would've had a greater chance of seeing this.

I think this one has peaked now. Not an especially bright one.

There will be others though. I've managed to spot half a dozen or so in the past few years. The bright ones seem to reach around mag 12-ish.

I've got it with the camera (image to be posted elsewhere when processed) but not a hope visually with my 250PX. The faintest star that I could trace using stellarium was mag 11.8. I could see fainter ones but I can't click on them to investigate.

I imaged the Leo Triplet April 4th with my AT8in and failed to find the super nova in the image. Maybe two hours and sixteen minutes is not enough exposure time, or it's magnatude is beyond my scope's reach.

I imaged the Leo Triplet April 4th with my AT8in and failed to find the super nova in the image. Maybe two hours and sixteen minutes is not enough exposure time, or it's magnatude is beyond my scope's reach.

Stars need aperture to go faint - I can snap this SN in 30s exp via my 30cm SCT. More exposure is better but it certainly doesn't need hours ;-0

Archived