SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Supernova in M65

paul mc c

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a point source would that be brighter in the eyepiece than the whole galaxy (mag 9 if memory serves)?

It would show as a faint star against the "haze" of dispersed light from the host galaxy. I've found mag 13.5 is about as low as I could go with point sources with a 10" scope from my garden. My 12" might be able to go a little further.

I'll give it a crack when the clouds let up. Quite familiar with these 3 so should hopefully see the nova if its visible from my garden.

Good idea. Get a recent image of the SN if you can so you know where to look on the galaxy and what other stars of similar brightness are close to it. It can be difficult sometimes to be sure you are looking at the SN rather than another star of similar brightness. It's also useful to have the comparative brightness of other field stars to hand so you can estimate the brightness of the SN.

Images like the one linked to below are useful - the SN was around 16th mag when this was taken:

Supernova in M65.  March 23, 2013

At mag 16.2 it is beyond my scope, and as it was 15.6 on the 21st I doubt that it will get much brighter. It is reported as type II, which means it may not turn out to be a bright one, despite being in a comparatively close galaxy.

Shame really

Best of luck to those with much bigger scopes, of course.

I will definitely have a crack at this (when the cloud clears) hopefully the darks skies around me will compensate for the lack of aperture. It would be awesome to bag another messier and a supernova in one go.

I don't know where the idea came from that it could brighten to mag 11. There are currently 12 supernovae listed as being brighter than the one in M65. The brightest is 13.5 but too far south for UK observers. Best current chance for UK supernova observers is 2013ab in NGC 5669, reported as mag 14.8. The galaxy itself is faint but can be seen with an 8" at a dark site. Supernova 2013ak is mag 13.9 but is in an obscure galaxy (ESO 430-020) and only rises a few degrees above the horizon for UK observers.

http://www.rochester.../supernova.html

I don't know where the idea came from that it could brighten to mag 11. There are currently 12 supernovae listed as being brighter than the one in M65. The brightest is 13.5 but too far south for UK observers. Best current chance for UK supernova observers is 2013ab in NGC 5669, reported as mag 14.8. The galaxy itself is faint but can be seen with an 8" at a dark site. Supernova 2013ak is mag 13.9 but is in an obscure galaxy (ESO 430-020) and only rises a few degrees above the horizon for UK observers.

http://www.rochester.../supernova.html

I looked there too, and see no sign of any improvements in SN2013am's brightness

Archived