Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

emadmoussa

Come on! Some creative ideas...

This is a random extension to a previous thread, which in part threw in some ideas on how to tidy up your cables...

I've trodden different paths in this direction. Recently I mounted the USB hub on the tripod leg and extended the wires around the mount before using adhesive clips right next to the sockets (be it USB or ST4) in order to alleviate the pressure/movement when the mount moved. Seems to work...Will post some photos soon. I use a single '10-meter repeater USB cable' from the hub into the computer, significantly reducing the wires cluttering.

To achieve a fully secure cable set-up, it's probably necessary to tighten/fix the USB cables into their sockets. I looked around, and can't find any clips or similar gear to do that. I don't want to turn to gluing :)

It's great if we reciprocate some ideas in this regard.

Thanks!!

Edited by emadmoussa

I've done away with usb hubs in the observatory and now use direct cabling to the PC from my CCD's. Tried all brands of powered hubs and they either introduced noise or created banding in images or random drop outs & CCD's disconnecting. Since using dedicated long cables my problems have ceased.

It would've been much easier if I had my own observatory -- for the time being, the USB hub seems to work just fine.

I just have to suggest the true engineering solution (apart from a bigger hammer): Duck-tape

:D

Lol, had a go with that. Ugly as hell :D And not perfect when it's cold/humid outside.

Edited by emadmoussa

Cable conduit, white PVC. You can get it at BandQ, Home Base etc, should tidy it up a treat.

My cable mess corrector is wire looming, used by automotive & computer techs to encase wires & protect them. I use 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" for localizing cables on the mount, & 5/8" up to 3/4" for the wire run from the tripod to the computer. By having all my wires in the loom, the excess length of some wires is kept from hanging around & getting tangled or tripped on. I use bands of electrical tape to secure the looming.

I run a full length COM port cable to the base of the scope, along with (3) 5 meter usb cables, in a 5/8" loom, taped up with reflective tape so I won't trip on it when walking back & forth from the scope to the computer. I run the scopes RS-232 Com port cable & the USB cables, up the tripod legs & let the connectors out of the loom as needed & tape the loom on both sides of the connector end, so it will stay in place. I taped up the open end where the last connector comes out to seal the end.

When I set-up or take down, I just disconnect & roll the works up in 1 neat bundle & store it in a plastic bin with a lid to keep water safe. I leave a couple of desiccant packs in the tub as well to keep it dry.

I too had problems using a USB hub as well, so I direct connect everything. My laptop has 3 USB ports, 1 for the RS-232/USB connector for the scope, 1 USB cable for the CCD or DSLR camera, connected to the scope, 1 USB cable for the piggy back DSLR camera, when a mouse is not in use.

Since I started using the looming, I haven't had a disconnect or ripped out wire from tripping on it, Yet. (Knock on wood that I didn't just jinxed that). I don't worry about the cables wrapping @ the scope anymore or snag up on hanging cables, everything is neat, tidy & self contained.

This is working well for me, I hope it may help you too.

Cheers!

• Like 1

My cable mess corrector is wire looming, used by automotive & computer techs to encase wires & protect them. I use 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" for localizing cables on the mount, & 5/8" up to 3/4" for the wire run from the tripod to the computer. By having all my wires in the loom, the excess length of some wires is kept from hanging around & getting tangled or tripped on. I use bands of electrical tape to secure the looming.

Cheers!

Thanks for the lengthy description. A photo will also be great, PaPa Doc!

Ask & you shall receive;

6d88d248-7237-433a-bc16-fa03e6fe58d6.jpg

DSCF0598.jpg

DSCF0594-1.jpg

DSCF0592-1.jpg

I have 25 feet of RS 232 cable on order for the long run of cable, that is why you do not see the cable in the long extension, it's being delivered still, otherwise it's all done. The long run of cable is 20 feet long, & I connect it to the tripod legs with plastic zip ties.

Hope this is what you wanted to see,

Cheers!

• Like 2

creative idea = a cable tie !!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: The cloudy weather continues but I always live in hope of better in both worthy ideas and weather :rolleyes:

Over the last couple of years I have used a number of ideas to make a neat job of cables, big problem I came upon was the adding and subtraction of cables now and again, to this end I went for these:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f1c04293c

This is just an example, plenty of sizes available.

They are quite good, hold the cables well.

Jim

Edited by The Sailor

I've seen the spiral wrapping used for making up cable looms, but using the automotive stuff looks like an excellent idea. Much easier to add and remove cables should it be required (I'm assuming it's split along the length?) and very tidy.

James

• Like 1

Yes, the automotive loom is split the entire length, so adding or subtracting a cable is easy & only costs a little more electrical tape.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I use the spiral wrap for my wiring loom. I have double-sided Velcro tabs threaded through in strategic locations to attach to the mount. I also wrap them round the cameras to support the cable ends and stop them pulling on the connector ports.

I run dedicated USB's for both cameras then CCD power, mount power and ST4 cables run through it. It makes set up much easier. I have used different coloured USB's for each camera so I can tell them apart easily and plug them into the same ports each time.

2013-03-16155447_zpsd520e784.jpg

I've done away with usb hubs in the observatory and now use direct cabling to the PC from my CCD's. Tried all brands of powered hubs and they either introduced noise or created banding in images or random drop outs & CCD's disconnecting. Since using dedicated long cables my problems have ceased.

I've used a similar approach, USB is just too flaky for multiplexing especially when moving large amounts of data; I now keep everything operating on a 1-to-1 basis to a local PC.

Edited by nightvision

I ordered a pack of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261182521464?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 to stick around the strategic areas on the mount in order to take the pressure off the ST4 and USB sockets. I'm still sorting out the wires coming down from the telescope/mount to the USB on the tripod leg. I ordered a roll of double-sided velcro straps. I might consider the loom though, seems effective - not the prettiest solution though :)

Over the last couple of years I have used a number of ideas to make a neat job of cables, big problem I came upon was the adding and subtraction of cables now and again, to this end I went for these:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f1c04293c

This is just an example, plenty of sizes available.

They are quite good, hold the cables well.

Jim

It's indeed a practical, cheap solution, James.

I'm working now on tidying up my cables and associated improvements. I have found a powered USB hub works fine with most of my USB requirements - Atik 314L+, EFW2, 1100D electronic viewfinder, a couple of Arduinos etc. but I'm supplying the EQDIR box to the mount and the QHY5 guide camera with separate USB repeater cables all 5m long.

This USB powered hub :- http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001UE6OC8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know I might be off the topic a bit, but It's still within the realm of tidy-up. I want a good cheap suitcase for my NEQ6 mount...the Mrs thinks it looks technologically neat, but It's too big to be sitting there in the lounge. :) Do you know if the Maplin suitcase still on offer...I'm not sure if it's deep enough though, is it??

I doubt if you will get that mount into the basic flightcase, I have the CG-5 GT in one and it just about fits. You would need to go for the next size up if thats possible and then I would only use it as storage as the weight would be prohbitive and would probably be unsafe.

As you can see, just fits

Jim

Goodness me, that IS a tight fit :D