Narrowband

Come on! Some creative ideas...

emadmoussa

I doubt if you will get that mount into the basic flightcase, I have the CG-5 GT in one and it just about fits. You would need to go for the next size up if thats possible and then I would only use it as storage as the weight would be prohbitive and would probably be unsafe.

As you can see, just fits

Jim

Thanks, James. I'm currently looking at Maplin suitcases... Like you said, the one I'm currently using for eyepieces (Maplin aluminum suitcase) won't be good for the mount. If I can only find a similar one with the same dimensions, only deeper !

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goodness me, that IS a tight fit :D

Not just a tight fit Gina but a weight, I do the monkey crawl when I carry it, arm straight down and back bent so I keep it as low to the ground as possible, if handle breaks then it hits the ground and not my foot :D

Jim

Thanks, James. I'm currently looking at Maplin suitcases... Like you said, the one I'm currently using for eyepieces (Maplin aluminum suitcase) won't be good for the mount. If I can only find a similar one with the same dimensions, only deeper !

Actually it is like the scene in Jaws where they need a bigger boat, same with the NEQ6 it is a monster and I would say a flight case on rollers woud be ideal, bigger and deeper is the order of the day.

Jim

The ultimate DIY creativity... :D

2063139-9064focuser_mode.jpg

That has to be a joke, I hope!!

As I have loads of RC equipment I tinkered with the idea of putting a heavey duty servo as a focuser and using the RC 6ch transmitter to work it but it would be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. What I would like to do is use all 6 channels rather than the one so if anyone has ideas on what and where to use them am happy to listen :)

Jim

Fitted a twin durite male/female connector instead of cigarette lighter socket , was fed up kicking it in the dark and having to redo alignment on eq3/2...electric focusser idea I'm looking at is to fit a remote control unit for a 12v winch set up from ebay about ten pounds. .cctv Samsung I'm looking to wireless mod with kit from ebay again ..for reverse camera on a car..again round fifteen pounds ....my canon dslr has the remote timer do its not in way.

And eqtooth may be a option as well.

Plenty to get on with lol...

Davy

I use the spiral wrap for my wiring loom. I have double-sided Velcro tabs threaded through in strategic locations to attach to the mount. I also wrap them round the cameras to support the cable ends and stop them pulling on the connector ports.

I run dedicated USB's for both cameras then CCD power, mount power and ST4 cables run through it. It makes set up much easier. I have used different coloured USB's for each camera so I can tell them apart easily and plug them into the same ports each time.

2013-03-16155447_zpsd520e784.jpg

Hmm looks famiar LOL I've got some of that cable tidy to use on mine although until I decide what camera goes where & what scope I'll be using etc I haven't fitted it yet.

I've done away with usb hubs in the observatory and now use direct cabling to the PC from my CCD's. Tried all brands of powered hubs and they either introduced noise or created banding in images or random drop outs & CCD's disconnecting. Since using dedicated long cables my problems have ceased.

Interesting - the USB standard has has data correction - although there's nothing to stop noise being transmitted via the power lines to the circuits of the CCD.

Tidy cables can be stiff cables. Stiff cables endanger your guiding.

Tidy cables are very nice until you have to change one, and then you can set aside your afternoon.

I do hundreds of hours a year in deep sky imaging. My cabes are not tidy.

Am I bovvered?

Olly

I've had the odd problem of cables catching up on things in the past and pulling plugs out etc. so I would like to have my cables a bit more tidy and constrained from catching up. I agree that they don't want to be too tight or stiff though. That is the problem with some tidying methods.

I have to agree with Olly on that, it was only by trail and error that I knew I needed loose cables or else something was going to be strangled. The plastic spring clips I use allow me to change cables, still have a loosness to move with the mount and ensue safety, I am clumsy underfoot :)

Jim

Archived