SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Most of Orion with Nikon 50mm f/1.4 @f/4.5

6f2488ad-1710-41fc-99e6-e69bcebc1e66_thumb.png

Orion's Belt and Sword with Nikon 70-300 @200mm f/5.3

85346697-f12e-42b2-85e6-971c00b000ac_thumb.png

Orion's Sword with Nikon 70-300 @300mm f/5.6

4e2385ed-aeb3-4646-a755-a32e784ff286_thumb.png

All taken with my Nikon D600. I've had some pretty good nights here in beginning of March. Cold though, -12°C to -17°C.

I still have alot to learn with post processing, but I really enjoy Pixinsight and I'm making slow progress.

Those images are terrific. So crisp and clean for imaging from 60* north. How do you even see Orion from that far up ? :)

Although you are already better than me at DSLR imaging can I make some suggestions ? ( It wouldn't be me if I didn't )

At the temperatures you are shooting at and the exposure times, it may be best to leave Darks alone for now and see how you go on. Just a few darks will add noise to the image.

Do loads of bias frames. 50 would be better ! Also do at least 20 flats. It all helps to smooth out the calibration frames.

Dave

Those images are terrific. So crisp and clean for imaging from 60* north. How do you even see Orion from that far up ? :)

Although you are already better than me at DSLR imaging can I make some suggestions ? ( It wouldn't be me if I didn't )

At the temperatures you are shooting at and the exposure times, it may be best to leave Darks alone for now and see how you go on. Just a few darks will add noise to the image.

Do loads of bias frames. 50 would be better ! Also do at least 20 flats. It all helps to smooth out the calibration frames.

Dave

Thanks! Good tips.

Archived