Best eyepiece for galaxies on 300mm dob?

Halcyon

I have a skywatcher skyliner 300p dob - lovely scope. I have the 2 supplied EPs and a set of Revolution 1.25 Inch ones which I had with my previous scope. Without breaking the bank what would be the best EPs for observing galaxies? I'm thinking of the Virgo / Leo field just coming into a good view here in the uk.

I tend to use my 26mm eyepiece for galaxies in my 16" dob (1600mm focal length plus 15% for the Paracorr) giving 71x. This provides nice wide fields in context and the galaxies at their brightest. sometimes I use 140x with my 13mm.

some will say a cheap wide field but for the under £100 bracket I'd sooner have a used 25mm TV plossl anyday of the week.

Televue Ethos and Delos are said to be one of the best. They're well corrected, sharp, great transmission, and in Europe they costs less than half the price of a equivalent Nikon. :D

Joking aside, have you consider the Explore Scientific 82deg from USA. I think the 1.25" model cost less than £100 even after you include shipping, VAT and import duties.

The UK alternative to the ES82 is the Meade Series 5000 UWA which is currently selling for £116 each from Telescope House.

Personally I find the 13mm Ethos a superb galaxy eyepiece with my 12" F/5.3 dob.

At a more reasonable price, the Skywatcher Nirvana 16mm might be worth considering. 82 degrees of field and close to Nagler performance for £145.

I also use 20mm and 8mm eyepieces either side of the above 13mm Ethos as galaxies vary quite a lot in apparent size and it's nice to vary the view.

Don't know if it helps but with my 10", I've found between 3mm and 1.8mm to be nice for many galaxies.

I guess you are referring to exit pupil here ? :smiley:

So thats 14mm - 8.5mm eyepieces, approx.

ES 30mm 82 degree for the widefield,amazing on Virgo and i have a 300p too

I'd obviously second that, but in terms of the OP I'd probably suggest a Panaview 32mm for £80ish new or £60ish second hand.

Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Russell, took your advice and just ordered a panaview 32mm 2 inch eye piece. Looking forward to using this. Have had some great views of Leo galaxies yesterday with my existing 1.25 EPs one of them is 32mm, so the 2 inch should be great. Cheers

I'd recomend the ES 18mm for galaxies. It'd give you x83 in a 12" 1500 FL

I'm currently favoring the 14mm for galaxies in my 10" which gives x86 with my 1200FL. I use the 18mm for open clusters and galaxy groups like leo trio.

I've found myself bumping up to the 8.8 on occasion for single galaxies and nebula (M1 for instance) this is x136 so you'd need the 11mm to get the same view. I cant tell you how good the 11mm is as I dont have the current one bit i assume its similar to the ones I have that are current range, excellent.

Having reasonable results with a 20mm widefield in my 8SE tonight, then upping the mag with a 15mm BST clone and then a 7mm bgo (not so good at that point - need something inbetween and maybe better quality than the BST clone).

Having reasonable results with a 20mm widefield in my 8SE tonight, then upping the mag with a 15mm BST clone and then a 7mm bgo (not so good at that point - need something inbetween and maybe better quality than the BST clone).

i would say better than the bst clones are ts hr ep,s i rate them almost as good as my bgo,s but better eye relief

Last night I managed to find - after many previous failed attempts - to find M81 and M82. they were almost directly everhead which meant a bit of contortion yo get my eye to the EP and reach the controls too. I found them using my ES 68 degree 24mm (a superb EP and not to pricey) I found that the best EP in my somewhat limited collection for viewing them was my 18mm BGO. There is a fair amount of LP around me and when I tried to ramp up the power by switching to my 12mm TV Radian the air glow was amplified too and the galaxies vanished. I was too tired to wait until after midnight when the M5 motorway lights go out and so I didn't find out if the situation improved with less LP......

But anyway... My fav galaxy viewer .. 18mm BGO

I was viewing M81 and M82 last night for some time with my 6.7, at 180x. Was actually very good. That'd be the 8.8 in a 12" for same view but with a slightly bigger exit pupil for you. Lots of detail and ink black background at zenith, even under LP.

M82 in particular looks more and more interesting as you ramp the power up. The dark rifts across it's face and the brighter knots seem to show themselves better.

Now you're making me feel bad :Envy:

It has made me wonder about my next purchase though.....

ES 68 degree 16mm or ES 82 degree 14mm (or alternative from other manufacturer) for galaxies.

Bearing in mind I can't afford anything in black and green livery and my LP... Which is best for my kit? :huh:

Archived