Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time out...

Jupiter is amazing , one of the first times I used my scope I thought I had a bit of dirt on my primary mirror , when I looked at jupiter there was a small speck on the surface , but I learned that it was a shadow cast on the surface of Jupiter by io , which is one of her moons, now that made my day !!! Kev

Nice one. I just got a brief glimpse of Jupiter but the seeing is pretty poor it keeps losing focus and wobbling about before focusing a little, nowhere near as good as Wednesday night.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During my first light, I managed to zoom in on Jupiter with my Heritage 130p and saw it and four of it's moons. Got close wnough to see the bands on the planet. I later during the same session got a really lovely view of the Pleiades (M45), and yes, both of the sights are definitely stored in memory. Was a great moment to be able to see those on my first time out. Won't forget them. =) It isn't anything near colour photos and so on you see on Tv and in magazines, but you still feel closer and it's a lot more rewarding and interesting getting to see things through your own scope. That's why it's so dangerously easy to fall for this hobby...you tend to be hooked right away...as you've noticed. ;) Oh, and you will check the skies a lot more from now on too, in order to see whether it's going to be a clear sky or not. Just a habit you'll pick up, without even thinking of it. You may already have noticed that too...If away somewhere and not having access to your scope will leave you wishing for it, if it happens to be a clear starry night as well, but that comes with the territory so to speak.

Archived