Narrowband

First time out...

According to the weather, tonight the skies over Middlesbrough will be fairly clear, mostly clear around midnight too. So will be taking my telescope out for the first time...

Do I need to do anything to my telescope? Other than set it up, or do I just take it out and off I go?

Thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Vikki , about half hour before u start put your scope outside to cool down with the end cap off, this will make for better viewing. If u have stellarium on your computer have a good look at that first or any app or sky guide . Get a comfy chair and put on some thermals and off u go . Good luck on your first night , let me know how u get on , ps I'm no expert I'm a newbie too, kev

yup cover off 30 mins b4 use , a chair , some thermals . dew shield if you have one [you can make them from old yoga mat you may have ] a red torch always useful and i always bring a flask with soup/coffee [even though my house is 15 metres away it saves the bumping about only for wife to turn on kitchen light , have a plan of what you want to see eg jupitr , m42, about midnight saturn is rising from the atmospheric muck in the east and finally bring some patience and just enjoy our wonderful sky .

What a wonderful feeling, mine had first light only half a dozen sessions ago and I'm forever at the window looking for the clouds to part!!!! keep warm like the others say as the cold takes the enjoyment out of any session if you don't and do a little planning too as in what you want to see Jupiter is always an amazing sight, here's hoping for some clear dark skies for us all:grin:

Thank you all. So far, clouds are showing no signs of clearing. Will have a little play around on Stellarium now so I get an idea of what I'll be doing tonight (hopefully!). Will definitely be out past midnight and look for saturn. :-) Can't wait. Will update on my first night.

Vicki, take a look here http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html as well and print off the skymap for March ( Northern edition ) There is a really useful list of the main objects on offer which gives you quite a broad range of different objects. Just take the sheet out with you and tick them off as you bag them! Good luck, hope it stays clear for you.

Take your time and try to commit to memory some of what you see, the first time out with your own scope is really special, enjoy.

Yup, and you might want some sort of a 'log book' for the experience - though I prefer the idea more of a 'diary'. Log book sounds so ... official.

We have clearing skies! So going to get kids to bed, and off out in the garden I go!

Let us know what your first light is like, cloudy where I am otherwise I'd be out

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I was viewing the moon last night and each time I'm fascinated by the surface , using the 10mm ep you can actually see inside the craters, amazing ! I'm hoping to get a better quality ep soon which will make viewing even better. Have u seen Jupiter and her moons yet ? Kev

Jupiter is amazing , one of the first times I used my scope I thought I had a bit of dirt on my primary mirror , when I looked at jupiter there was a small speck on the surface , but I learned that it was a shadow cast on the surface of Jupiter by io , which is one of her moons, now that made my day !!! Kev

I've only seen Saturn through a very small scope a couple of years ago, I can't wait to see it through my 200 dob. Good luck tonight , u got me wanting to get out tonight now but it's very overcast here :sad:

Archived