Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage 76 mini dob eyepiece advice

Hi there, I'm a bit frustrated. I need advice about eyepieces for this scope. I want to get as much as possible from it until we can afford to upgrade to the 130P at Christmas (it belongs to my 6 year old so that is absolutely as far as my budget is stretching for the next couple of years!) So I'd like info on Barlows and eyepieces. I've had some great advice on here but mostly from people who don't have this scope so although I have had some great ideas, nothing definitive. So I was still none the wiser as have been recommended several eyepieces, barlows, eyepiece AND barlow, and also some who have said not to bother as it's pretty much as good as it's going to get.

So i emailed First Light and outlined the problem and when they replied today they said (i'm paraphrasing, he was very nice) not to bother as it is pretty much the best magnification it will be, even the 130P won't be any better and try one of these. And there's some links for some £300+ scopes that frankly he's not getting until he's at least ten and is showing passion for the hobby. (as tempted as I was. Terrible impulse shopper....)

Now I did research before I bought and I've seen pictures taken with this scope and the 130P so I KNOW it can do better than what it is at the moment. I realise a lot of this is me being new and making some stupid rookie mistakes (last night, wrong eyepiece - serious facepalm) but we DO have a limited budget but I want to get as much as I can FOR that budget, but at the same time not waste money on things that aren't going to work!

Can anyone help? Apologies if it seems like you're all repeating advice but I've gotten confused! :)

Because the scope is so small in focal length it's hard to achive really high magnifications. The best thing I can think of is to get a 2x or 2,5x Barlow lens and use your standard ep's with the Barlow. I can't see why you would struggle with the clouds on Jupiter with that setup. It would be great if you could go to a darker site then your back garden too, it's amazing how much of a difference that can make!

I have the similar scope for my children but the one shaped like a rocket. It has the same optics.

I do know that using better eye pieces does improve the view. I did try 7mm Nagler in it once for fun and it worked ok!

How much do you want to spend at the moment on eyepieces? Near in mind that if you invest in the right ones now they should work fine in the 130 heritage

Stu

One more question...

What are you hoping to see? Mainly planets and the moon or other objects too like clusters which need less magnification?

The 7mm I tried gave around x42, I reckon you could get up to 50 or 60 maybe. If it is clear tonight, I will have a quick go with mine and see what it can do on the moon and Jupiter.

Don't forget pictures are usually processed heavily and so look better than you see through the scope.

Stu

We're enjoying looking at the moon and want to be able to make out some planets as actual planets rather than bright stars and then once we get the hang of navigating more well be looking at star clusters etc. he has limited patience being 6 so it will all be pretty simplistic for now.

Sorry, it's been cloudy so haven't had a chance to play with the scope. When I do I'll have a look at Jupiter through various eps and tell you which magnifications work. At the moment I'm thinking maybe a 10mm or 8mm and a Barlow.

Will get back to you

Stu

• 1 month later...

I've recently bought this scope for my 5 year old son. The supplied EPS are good enough for him so I'm looking to get him a 7.5 and 60mm plossl and a 2x Barlow. This will give him magnifications of 12x, 24x, 30x, 40x, 50x, 60x, 80x and 100x. This should be within the limitations of the scope and only just over your £50 budget new or within it S/H.

Archived