SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Afocal work

Blazar

Right.....following in others footsteps I decided to see what I could do with a point and shoot ,and just holding the thing at the ep.....will post the results shortly when I put them through p to tidy them up a bit. they are mostly Lunar, but I did give Jupiter a shot as well...and I was amazed I even managed to et the bands in a couple of hem.

let me have a play and will upload the best. Can see me wanting a web cam next!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right..had time to mess around, and put a sample up here onto a small 4 image gallery.

Please be gentle!

I took about 211 images, of which I have selected a subset that could be worked upon. The four in the gallery are my favourites. I can post up the others if people want to see them. Any advice warmly received. I used a small Panasonic, and manully set it up to shoot at ISO100, and also spot metering....and then held it steady. I released after me first sttempts on the 18th, that kneeling down with the camera was bad for the image (and my knees)..as they were shaking, and teh vibration went through the TAL mount via the deck!

The 19th was a lot better...a seat....and a bottle of beer :grin: ...it was quite nice that it actually got colder after opening the bottle and drinking!

anyway here is the link:

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/album/2469-afocal-first-steps/

A lot to learn, and a long way to go...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Knobby, sorry for the delay in responding. Lots going on at home and work....plus a stag do in Vegas ;-) I am doing ok with the Tals, though now saving for the next step...want to continue with the magical stuff for now, but switch to a man and tracking setup. Would like to see one though first. The SW127 or 150 is the target, though first saving for a new mount. Not sure what to go for...a3-2 might do it, but was also thinking of future proofing and look at the EQ6 ( might be a bit heavy though) lime the look of the ZWO cameras as well...

And I have to pay for another trip to Vegas (20th wedding anniversary), and then a family trip to Florida...so I am struggling to save at all!

Still love studying the moon though...when there are no clouds! Vegas had nice skies...but the LP was unreal!

Oh aye I am. Would love to have a bit more cash for this hobby though ;-) think I have settled on a maksutov for the next scope. And I like the look of the SW150. Or the 180.the mount would need to be motorised, thinking o the EQ6 but might be able to get away with something smaller like an EQ5. Still a bit confused with all the synscan or a syntrek differences.

Then I guess there is a powertank, and then laptop etc. Would like to see the results from your use of the 150 Knobby. Can you post some more pics?

Did manage to get some pics of Saturn last month, but as its only a refractor the image is quite small, but you can still see the rings,but no Cassini division.

Was that ring nebula photo taken afocal? The saturn one is great, Id love to get results like that.

sorry Matt, no... they were meant as an answeer to Blazars question to me about 'how you getting on with your 150'

Saturn was with an SPC900 webcam and the Ring was about 9 30 seconds with a D300 attached by T ring

Ahhhh, cool cool :) I still wish I could get results like that with my SPC900 but then again you do have a light bucket and I have a light straw in comparison.

Its only an extra 1" matt, suppose every little counts !

I didnt read enough of your sig, I read the '250' bit and stopped reading, didn't see that was a dob and youv done your photos on your mak, A little more encouraging for me then in that case :)

Keep going Matt....I went and got one of the Baader digiscoping brackets. well worth the £30 odd that it costs to get some really nice photo's. though a stated a new set-up is needed for larger images (than my refractors). will still try and use them on the new mount etc though.

• 1 month later...

Haha, reminds me of the meetup we had when I held my phone upto the eyepiece and pretended to take a photo of the andromeda galaxy, then when showing other members of our party (cough*skywatcher250*cough*) I just showed an image I downloaded from the hubble site - he was well impressed.

Gary, nice image

I was out last night as well, will post up some of the images. I was getting used to the Nikon & focusing through the viewfinder was quite an art.....and the first shot I tried I washed out the moon a hell of a lot, but got a great shot of the neighbours TV ariel.....what a welcome to prime focus work.Got some good snaps in the end though.

Really need that liveview feature, so will probabaly save up for one of those canon 1100D's...so i can at least view the focus.

How we laughed... :D

Thing is Mark, some of your images are that good it was easy to believe!

i think they are great as well....mind you, how long has it taken you Simms to get the level you are at now in general photography? It's all a bit new to me at the mo!

Hmmm...think it was ISO 400 , 1/200 shutter speed then threw it on the timer (as i dont have a remote control for it. Also used a netural density filter to take the edge off it. quite happy but focusing is slightly out...guess it will be easier when the moon is in a different phase. was messing around with all sorts of settings etc. bit trial and error...

Thanks though...:-)

Archived