Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

E621Keith

Sticky finder base (Telrard/Rigel) removal

How do you remove your Telard or Rigel finder base that was stuck to the scope with sticky foam tape?

I wanted to transfer my Rigel from one scope to another. When I pulled the base off, the foam tape split down the middle, leaving a sticky mess on both the scope and the base. I removed the tape residue on the base using hot water, but obviously I cannot use the same method for the residue on the scope.

Any suggestion on how to remove these sticky tape residue is welcome.

Thanks

White spirit on a cotton wool ball should do the trick. Dab it on and the "glue" will fail - you can then lift it away.

Other approaches I've seen recommended are to warm the foam with a hair drier which will release the adhesive, or to use a fine wire to remove it.

James

Other approaches I've seen recommended are to warm the foam with a hair drier which will release the adhesive, or to use a fine wire to remove it.

James

I read that as a 'fine wine' and thought what a blumming good idea :smiley:

Indeed. The foam may not come off, but after a bottle you don't really care :)

James

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I tried the hair dryer method and managed to remove the foam, but the adhesive refused to get off. I will try the solvent method later. I will try some IPA first, then white spirit if the IPA didn't work.

To get rid of the adhesive use WD40 or cigarette lighter fluid - comes straight off.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I tried the hair dryer method and managed to remove the foam, but the adhesive refused to get off. I will try the solvent method later. I will try some IPA first, then white spirit if the IPA didn't work.

Do be careful with the OTA once you've drunk the IPA though.

James

• Like 1

Do be careful with the OTA once you've drunk the IPA though.

James

:D Yea, alcohol and telescope don't mix.

Dental floss sawed backwards and forwards against the OTA - bit kinder than wire.

WD40... Everyone thinks its a lubricant :D its a cleaner too, and a very good one, just remember to wipe it off afterwards

• Like 1

I've been trying to get the remains of the double-sided tape off for hours! WD40 finished off the job in seconds. Amazing! Thank you :)

• Like 1

Ever since the removal problem, I now stick electrical tape onto the tube first and then stick the double sided foam tape onto the electrical tape. This makes removing it much easier. Rigel finder is quite light, so taping the base on another layer of tape this is not a problem.

I shall be getting my hands on a Rigel that's missing its tape this week. What kind of tape can I use to stick it on my scope?

I shall be getting my hands on a Rigel that's missing its tape this week. What kind of tape can I use to stick it on my scope?

I'd have thought pretty much any double-sided sticky foam pads would do the job.

James

I'll test that theory immediately and let you know the result, if I remember...

Russell