HU 20mm Nagler

alan potts

I have the 6mm and 5mm Baader GO for a similar reason Alan. For really critical viewing of objects such as Sirius they slightly surpass the big chaps on light scatter control.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John,

This is the very reason I am getting the 6mm and 9mm BGO. The sad thing is by May Sirius will be out of the frame, maybe not totally but way past its best which is about now. My main objective with the 9mm is to try Sirus with the LX, I also want a 12.5mm but this may well have to a comprimise with the Hutech. I am sure I looked through an ortho years ago but if I don't like them I will be loosing a few quid.

Alan.

All this talk of Orthos has gotten me thinking I might want one or two for dedicated planetary use.

I'm waiting, like many probably, for FLO to come into stock of the HuTechs and was wondering what would be best. Based on the scopes and eyepieces I have i was thinking maybe a 6mm for the first one. Do you think that's good?

I track manually and the FOV being tight like it is I figured a 5mm might be just too laborious in the end. If I had a tracking mount i'd start with a 5 for sure.

what do you think?

Maybe get a BCO instead or wait for huTechs?

I hope Flo gets them into stock before I leave on May 18th as I can't get delivered from there without paying a fair bit in the way of a couriers fee. It just won't be worth it. Still lets keep fingers crossed.

I can't make upi my mind if the 18mm may be the better F/L over the 12.5mm on the LX with it's rather long 3048mm F10, I may buy both.

Alan

Following your previous philosophy Allan, magnifications isn't every thing and the 18mm is about 165x, which coincidentally is about the same as my 17mm Ethos in the C11... best views I've had to date tbh, good glass good detail... having said that, the 12.5 isn't outrageously high in your LX, so maybe both feature in your future :evil:

Dunk,

I have to say it is a bit of an expensive exercise, I want to see if the LX can see the Pup, though that may have to wait until much later in the year and ealy mornings. When I get back Sirius will be way passed it's best. I have the 6mm and 9mmm BGO in the bag, but these are not a great deal of use on the LX. These two were for the other scopes and I thought I could Powermate them just to see what they are like. If I don't like them I will be loosing a few quid that's for sure.Alan.

I am sure I have used Orthoscopics before back in the 70's when I started, there were no 100 degree eyepieces then, come to think of it there weren't any 82 degrees either. The thing with Orthos is they are in the main for magnification and that in itself helps. Even though there are 110 degree Ethos and a 120 degree offering from Explore I have no desire to want one ( yet ). I find 60 and 70 degree Radians and Delos perfect at higher magnifications as I am sure many do.

Alan.

Archived