SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wa-hey! My new Coronado PST

lukebl

Trev,

Being in at the very beginning of the PST mod "movement" and somewhat responsible for over a hundred successful mods since then, I don't feel my efforts resulted in the extra Loctite on the PST!

oops, sorry Ken, I was being tongue in cheek :p Didn't mean that that was what caused it at all. I remember when the PSTs started coming out of the Mexico with all that loctite & assume it was just timing and the move of manufacture to the new location. Just coincided with the mods and put me in mind of a humourous comment by Nick on UKAI or CN back in the day that Coronado must have spotted his mods. Had successfully broken apart my PST but it was one of the rusty ones and the replacement was one of the new ones - though the good folks at Coronado did throw in a free case and kellner EP :smiley:

Without ye're work on the PST mods most of us would never had a chance to see h-alpha views in all their high-res glory. Amazing what these wee scopes can do with an aperture increase! Really enjoying the mod. Kudos!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much to my surprise, I gently twisted the gold tube and found it unscrewed with no effort or tools at all, and no sign of any Loctite. Is this unusual? I can see the Stage 1 mod happening soon.

8589230263_e16b57f6a1_z.jpg

So where can I get one of these nosepiece adapters? (Sorry, Kevin, for nicking your image)

3419__600x600_img_0001.jpg

Luke,

Also try to unscrew the etalon and the eyepiece holder from the black box...... see if they missed the loctite operation completely that Friday....;-)

In my PST mod write-up I detail the possible suppliers for the nosepiece adaptor.

http://www.teleskop-austria.at/prod.php?tid=38&lng=slo#sonne-adap-pst

AOK Swiss do both a front and rear adaptor, and they sometimes come up in the Astro Boot sale.

Also factor in the costs for the Donor OTA and the ERF.

....Also factor in the costs for the Donor OTA and the ERF...

Thanks for the info, Merlin.

I've already factored in the cost of the OTA and ERF, but hadn't expected it to be so easy to remove the gold tube. If only the rest of the mod proves to be this easy......

An unexpected bit of clear sky drifted over the North Sea today, so I did these captures of some nice proms today. Definitely going to have to do the mod, but pleased with my first attempts. On an unguided tripod so these are a crop of the best part of the frame, IMG132e cam, 2x barlow, c.400 frames stacked in Registax. A bit rough and ready, but I think there's potential there with a bit of practice.

8594816183_16942f673b.jpg

8594816459_8e53932805.jpg

Hi Luke,

For me I like the second one of the previous post the best. However, when you put the earth on to the same scale it is amazing how big these features are and how fast they are moving. They are really fast and big, it is mind boggling really.

I think my Solar Scope is great, without it I wouldn't have done very much astronomy lately. The last time I had chance to have a go at a DSO was November and I have only had three or four sessions on Jupiter since. I really like my PST, not too expensive (as solar scopes go), light and portable, but capable of some great views.

This week and some of last week the weather has been really bad, so I started putting all of my solar pictures on to my website (www.drrobin.co.uk) in a new picture gallery widget. I haven't got back to my PST days yet, but you can really see how good a month March was for me, by the number of sessions and the images obtained, I hope April is as good???

Best of luck, keep the pictures coming and they will get better with practise.

Robin

Archived