Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

converting a tal-110mm mount to alt-az

sparkyjon

i have a tal-110mm and i'm in the middle of a refurb, the pier is going to be bolted to the floor on my slab in ready for my observatory at the top of my garden,

i have the original eq mount for the tal but cant stand them especially for newts as i hate rotating the tube, so i want to buy an alt-az mount and fix it to the pier (possibly removable ) would it be as simple as making a plate to go on to the pier with a fixing hole off centre to fix the alt-az mount on,

if i'm honest money is going to be tight so i'm thinking of just getting an az3 with a mercury 705 as a quick keep in the boot scope. but transferring the mount to the pier when using the tal...

is there anything commercial out there to do this ? or will i have to manufacturer one myself, i'm sure i can do it fairly easily but would prefer to buy something specifically designed for the job..

Hi

Can you not simply set the latitude to either 0 or 90 degrees and use the EQ head in AZ mode - you can do this with the old Celestron CG5 manual mounts.

HTH

Paul

Yes its that simple i have done this my self when i had one.

Archived