Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photoshop astrophotography plug-ins

I’ve recently been developing two Photoshop astrophotography plug-ins.

The first one will correct colour imbalances in images due to light pollution, modified DSLRs, filters etc. The second plug-in is for the removal of background gradients in images.

Both plug-ins should work with Photoshop CS2 and later (both 32bit and 64bit), sorry Windows only.

Colour Correction Photoshop plug-in.

This plug-in for Photoshop (CS2 or later) is designed to remove correct colour casts in astrophotography images caused by light pollution and / or modified DSLRs. This filter will not correct gradients due to light pollution, for this try my Gradient Eradicator filter.

Use:

It is generally best to run the filter after you the initial stretch phase of image processing but before any other processing. The filter only works in RGB mode and supports both 8 and 16 bits per channel. Generally the image should not have a selection unless there is a large area of coloured nebulosity visible, in which case ensure that the whole image is selected except the nebulosity (use the Lasso tool to select the nebulosity and then invert the selection).

The filter can be accessed via the Filter | Solar Screech | Colour Correction menu option.

There are three parameters that effect the working of the filter:

Width Peak Divider: This defines the cut off on the histogram peak of the background sky.

Star Stretch Divider: This effects when star colour enhancement starts.

Colour Intensity Bins: This controls the accuracy of the colour correction (1024 is not selectable for 8bit images).

As a general rule the defaults will work for most images, if they don't experiment.

Gradient Eradicator Photoshop plug-in.

This plug-in for Photoshop (CS2 or later) is designed to remove background gradients from astrophotography images caused by light pollution, bad flats etc.

Use:

The filter works in RGB or greyscale modes and supports both 8 and 16 bits per channel.

To use the filter first select the image background, usually the easiest way to do this is to select the stars using the Magic Wand, Select Color Range or your favourite star selection action. Add to this selection all deep sky objects using the lasso tool then invert the selection, so that the background is selected. The filter will still work if faint stars are included in the background selection.

The filter can be accessed via the Filter | Solar Screech | Gradient Eradicator... menu option.

Set the noise reduction radius, the higher the value, usually the better the result, however this also means that the filter takes longer to run.

James (Solar) Screech

Evostar 80ED + EQ5Pro (EQMod) + 500D (mod) + 300D (mod) + CLS clip filter

ST80 + QHY5 + PHD autoguider

PST + EQ2 + ToUCam Pro II (mono chipped)

http://www.solarscre...eehosting.co.uk

ColourCorrection (v2.2).zip

GradErad (v1.1).zip

Will they work in Lightroom?

The simple answer is I don't know.

I don't have a copy of Lightroom and don't know about any limitations it places on plug-ins. Give it a try it can't do any harm, if they work could you let me know.

James

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just to bump this, I've just tried loading these as well and as above not showing in my flter menu in CC 2015.  Or maybe someone else can recommend another good gradient removal tool for Photoshop?  Thanks!

Just to bump this, I've just tried loading these as well and as above not showing in my flter menu in CC 2015.  Or maybe someone else can recommend another good gradient removal tool for Photoshop?  Thanks!

Are you using the correct version 32bit / 64 bit?

James

hi James, good question, I downloaded the two which you had put at the for of your original post.  I'm using 64bit PS though.

There are instructions and more up to date versions in my old website http://www.solarscreech.getfreehosting.co.uk/ navigate to them via the resources section in the menu on the left of the page.

It may be that they are not compatible with CC, its a while since I did any work on these addons and I haven't kept up to date on Photoshop changes.

James

Archived