SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium and the Celestron 6SE

I have installed Stellarium and I have a serial interface to the 6SE. However it does nor seem to want to control

The software says connected but I cannot get the scope to move. I have tried both the 'aux' and 'auto guide' connection on the 6SE base.

Any suggestions?

I have installed Stellarium and I have a serial interface to the 6SE. However it does nor seem to want to control

The software says connected but I cannot get the scope to move. I have tried both the 'aux' and 'auto guide' connection on the 6SE base.

Any suggestions?

Make sure you are connecting through the handset, not directly to a port on the mount.. Check the comm port number in windows device manager and select this one in Stellarium.

/\ That and the fact it does not clip back into the mount very well....

Still having problems with the slew. I select an object in stellarium and the hit Ctrl+1 and I get a wobble...that's it. Nor do I see the telescope listed on the image by the reticule even though it is in the data base.

/ That and the fact it does not clip back into the mount very well....

Still having problems with the slew. I select an object in stellarium and the hit Ctrl+1 and I get a wobble...that's it. Nor do I see the telescope listed on the image by the reticule even though it is in the data base.

Ah yes. The clip on my handset mount has bent downwards and is now useless. I just rest the controller on the battery cover.

Hi Baggy, I have a 5 SE & Stella. I think I know what is going on, but I want to try my suspicions first. With any luck I'll be back within the hour with an explanation for you. I'm going to recreate the problem then try a couple of things first so I do not give you bad info and send you astray. Be back soon.......

Cheers!

Hello again Baggy. I have a solution for you.

Alt + 1 = Center scope to the reticle spot on screen

Ctrl + 1 = Move scope to point of reticle. Once your aligned & connected to Stella, click on Saturn, let's say, so the reticle is highlighting Saturn, then hit ctrl + 1 , & the scope will slew to Saturn. You had the right idea, you just confused alt with ctrl. You can highlight the commands when your in the F1 sub screen, then paste them to a new notepad document, then print them up. It will make life a little easier. I printed out the commands & they are a big time & hair saver. ha ha When your in the telescope set-up sub screen, make certain to tick the box that will show the scope in Stella, & it will be there for you.

Hope this helps mate,

Cheers!

Starnut;

A go-to scope is nice to get someone to where they are going, if the person knows what they are looking for, & Stellarium can show them what they may see when they get it there. It's kind of like a property builders rule of thumb, "Call before you dig". With Stella, a user can see something of interest in Stella, then send the scope to that location. It may be something the nekid eye can't see in the nights sky, Stella will give the user an idea what they will be seeing once the scope gets to that location.

Rather then having to find an objects proper scientific name & knowing which catalog to look into to find the object, with a click of the mouse, this takes that process & makes it automatic. Furthermore, when people are using a scope for AP work, it's a lot easier to use a program like Stella to arrange a nights session of picture taking, the ease of transferring location data from the program to the scope, and in the winter, a person can stay indoors, while the scope is outside in the cold. With Stellarium & a camera program like BackYard EOS, a person can program the scope to take a set of pictures, then move to another location & take more pics, so on & so forth. By having both programs running, this makes the process much easier to program a session, the data transfer is instant, and with the correct location values, keeping mistakes fewer & farther between.

I hope I haven't confused you further,

Cheers!

Hello SubDwarf;

I live in Innisfail, so I am right along Highway 2, about 21 km South of Red Deer. While I will readily agree that the location isn't the best for viewing from my flat in town, it is central to many different Dark Sky locations, & a 20 minute drive to Ken & Bev & All-Star Telescope, in Didsbury, Alberta.

I am well within a 2 hour drive limit to some very nice dark sky locations. Abraham Lake on Highway 11 is just a little west of a favorite location of mine, Shunda Mountain & it's fire tower lookout. With Abraham Lake being located between Banff & Jasper National parks, either park is within a 2-3 hour drive from my flat. All 3 locations as well as many more in Kananaskis Country are my go-to locations that are all over 6000 ft of elevation and in prime dark skies. If the mountain weather is not great, I head East into the prairies & North towards Wainwright or South towards the Badlands, or anywhere in-between, on farm land & no where near any major towns.

Naturally, I like my elevation locations & I have access to many(50+). The only real dangers are the grizzly bears & wolves, but if a person is smart, this risk is very low, just something to keep in mind when a branch breaks at 3 am.( EEEKS!)

When there is not enough time for a quick trip to the parks, I drive about 20-30 minutes West, to get into the foothills North of Sundre & South of Rocky Mountain House. Being in the middle of the Calgary-Edmonton corridor, heading West for 20-30 minutes gets me into really good skies almost as good as Jasper.

While spring has sprung elsewhere, not here, at least not this week. We're in a major snow storm as I type this. Snow, winds at 50km, minus 23C by 3 am, many highways are closed all across Alberta & Saskatchewan yesterday & this morning, it's a mess right now, but give it a week or so & we'll be in warmer weather for the next 5 months.

At least, you know why it's not good to visit Alberta in the winter. LOL

May you have dark skies...

Cheers Mate!

Many thanks PaPa Doc. I now have control.

As you said the key is to do a star align, turn on Stellarium and then ensure your coms port is correct.

Just spent a happy hour hopping through the NGC's in Crux, Vela and Carina to test two new eye pieces.

Your quite welcome Baggy, I am glad to have been helpful, contrary to what my missus may think. Gee, I have this in writing now, hmm (hits print). :icon_mrgreen:

Glad it's working for you and your viewing the wonders of the night sky. If you need any help in the future, my door is open to all.

Cheers!

Archived