Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Here we go again..........Groupon

Problem is if it gets someone interested inexpensively in astronomy is it a bad thing.?

Afraid not every one can afford the scopes that are often talked about here.

Tell a 6 year old they have wasted their time and money and shouldn't have bothered and it will put them off for ever.

Forget the cost, if they have an interest then OK a £25 scope isn't a great start but it is a start.

Problem is if it gets someone interested inexpensively in astronomy is it a bad thing.?

Afraid not every one can afford the scopes that are often talked about here.

Tell a 6 year old they have wasted their time and money and shouldn't have bothered and it will put them off for ever.

Forget the cost, if they have an interest then OK a £25 scope isn't a great start but it is a start.

Exactly, if a cheap 50 quid scope can spark someone's interest then that's great. I'm sure the majority of people on here started out with what would be classed as "rubbish" scopes. I rushed out just over a year ago and bought an argos celestron powerseeker on an impulse as it was all I could find locally there and then and I knew nothing about scopes. It was pretty basic but showed me the moon in detail and I could see Saturn with it too. Within 6 months I owned a 200p on an EQ5 goto and now im already looking at upgrading again. Most people wont jump in and spend 500 quid plus on an initial scope, so if they can get by and get interested with a 50 pound scope more power to them. I got suckered for 180 quid which could have gone towards a decent scope but it kick started my interest so I have no regrets.

Yr lknaa what.....you are right........ if it serves as an introduction then thats good.....i'm still with my first scope.....yes I want a new bigger one.....but it's getting approval from the other half which isn't going to happen at the mo ,,,lol

Don't see a huge problem with that groupon ad. The scopes aren't being marketed as being capable of ridiculous levels of magnification, instead they are listing objective size and focal length. Also no horrendous 'you will see Olympia mons' pictures or text.

They also aren't the cheap plastic scope and mount department store special. Although no idea of whether they are any good. Certainly can't be too much worse than the cheap tasco 2" that got me interested in astronomy many moons ago!

To be honest I can understand what the OP is saying, but I don't see any problem with these adds. The problems comes when ads state inflated mag's which are far too outrages for the scopes in question and increases peoples expectations far beyond what the scopes are capable off.

But...this add is not doing that so don't see any problem with this and can serve as a good, can I say "Kidde" scope.

I started off with one of those “el chepo” promise you the earth dept store scopes oh so many, many years ago

fortunately for me a friend of my dads who was “an astronomer” upgraded me to an old pair of bins he had that took my interest further,

the scopes advertised look a far better proposition than I had to start off with??

Just recently I was able to do a return favour as it were to my friends son who had an Argos/ Poundstretcher special for Christmas

with a pair of 10x50’s bins I had spare and now he is loving it...and so the wheel turns... :grin:

I started off with one of those “el chepo” promise you the earth dept store scopes oh so many, many years ago

fortunately for me a friend of my dads who was “an astronomer” upgraded me to an old pair of bins he had that took my interest further,

the scopes advertised look a far better proposition than I had to start off with??

Just recently I was able to do a return favour as it were to my friends son who had an Argos/ Poundstretcher special for Christmas

with a pair of 10x50’s bins I had spare and now he is loving it...and so the wheel turns... :grin:

Nice story. Something for us all to think about when someone asks us about our hobby. Even just spending a little time with someone pointing out different objects and discussing our pastime could just light the kindling to someone else's passion in astronomy.

The reflector either has the finder pointed backwards, or the whole scope backwards with the finder oddly at the bottom of the tube. Either way it's clearly not set up right, doesn't inspire confidence.

And of course the claimed "% off" is blatant lies. I can't imagine they were ever sold at £100 and £250 respectively. Well actually I can, there are enough rip-off merchants in the world.

Archived