SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heads up! Falcon 9 Rocket to Transit the Moon on May 1st! (UK)

Alaness

I've been doing some research using calsky and I found that a Falcon 9 rocket is due to transit the moon from the perspective of the UK on "May 1st, 20h39m37.08s" It should last about 40 seconds. I don't think anyone has imaged a Falcon 9 transit yet, but if the launch is on time then we should have a decent stab at it!

tmp28709619444269.jpg

Alan

Given that the track where an given ISS transit is visible is so narrow, I wonder if perhaps this is also only visible along a fairly narrow path.

James

I assumed the whole UK, but the image is based upon my location in South Wales.

How wide the track is will also depend on how high the rocket is at the time.

That was my next question :) It would be interesting to know how wide the track is and what size the rocket will appear at the time.

James

Yep, just ran it in Stellarium; the Moon rises at about 01:29 and sets at about 10:27 on 01-05-2013. It then rises again on 02-05-2013 at about 01:59.

Well this is embarrassing. I must have typed up the wrong info. A recheck says that the actual time is Sunday, 12 May 2013, 19h 39m 32s

Don't worry Alaness, I have posted a picture on here of Jupiter with the title of 'Saturn (date)'!!!! emo6.gif You can imagine some of the replies I received. emo18.gif I think it's like the bidding rush on Ebay, you find something out or get a picture and want to post it as quickly as possible and your mind gets overtaken by your fingers!

I will put that date/time in my diary and if we have clear skies that night emo30.gif I will see if I can get a video. Thanks for the heads-up by the way!

Edit: Looking in Stellarium again the Sun will not set for another hour after the transit so I think it is going to be very difficult to get a capture of the transit. If there is sufficient Earthshine on the dark side of the Moon it may be possible to pick something up. I may still give it a try...you never know!

Archived