First steps for photographer into astronomy

Heh, London is nearer than Rochdale for me, 'cos that's where I'm working for the next few months, but thanks :)

I have done a bit of lunar stuff with a 180/2.8 Nikkor. That's how I found out how horrifically fast all that stuff up there moves around ...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Celestron SE6 and for general astrophotography work it is reasonable. I also piggyback my Canon 400D on it as well.

I have found that with its AZ mount you need to set the level accuratley and use an illuminated reticule with the red dot finder in order to set up tracking as accurately as possible.

You can also just set your camera a tripod and take timed exposures with your exisiting lens kit.

Southern Cross

You could always go the route of starting with an equatorial mount, and using your existing gear with that. You can get dovetails with tripod mounting screws on. To tighten them, you typically need to get underneath with an allen key, so I fitted a Manfrotto quick release plate to mine. My mount (an NEQ6 pro) will manage 3 or 4 minutes exposures at 300mm, which is quite a lot (although it does involve a lot of standing around in the cold with a stopwatch and cable release). I find with my D700 that, if I want to stretch the bottom end of the histogram a lot, a bit of structured noise starts to appear above about ISO1250. The long exposure noise reduction option gets rid of this, but at the expense of doubling the exposure time (it takes a dark frame immediately afterwards, and subtracts that from the image).

Subjects with stars in them are really unforgiving targets, particularly with full frame sensors, so I have often ended up stopping down my 300m f/2.8 to f/5.6 or further - which takes away a lot of the light-gathering power. Telescopes, which can be optimised for one aperture and one focal distance, tend to do better than telephoto lenses in my experience. There are plenty of small refractors, to suit any budget. If you suspect that you might suffer from upgrade-itis in the near future, don't forget that a relatively inexpensive refractor might become a guide telescope in the future. It's difficult to waste money on a good mount or small refractor.

Also, going towards more dedicated astro gear means that it's easier to find useful accessories like light pollution filters. Most astro filters come in 48mm sizes, and although you might be able to get step-up rings to 52mm, it's not always easy to get it to fit. The filter drawer on my 300mm is not wide enough to accept both a filter and adapter ring, for example.

Interesting idea. My cameras are fitted with Arca plates, but I guess there's probably something I can bolt on to mate with a Vixen clamp?

Right now, having read all the posts from experienced observers and imagers who are on the point of giving up, my thinking is running more towards getting a very quick visual observation set-up, something like a decent 102 refractor on an alt az mount, and seeing how that goes for a while.

Given that such a scope could conceivably be pressed into terrestrial use, it wouldn't be a total wash-out if the skies never cleared again over NW England.

If you do a search for "Vixen Style Photo Dovetail" it'll turn up the correct part. Various suppliers stock them. That will have a 1/4" screw which will allow you to put on any Arca or other manufacturer's head or quick release plate. A ball head would probably give the most flexible setup.

I definitely agree, though, that a good and convenient visual setup is a very good thing - and sounds like a good plan.

If you want to get into astrophotgraphy have a look at an Astrotrac TT320. With your D700 on top with a 180mm lens you can definitely get good images of deep space. I use a D7000 with a 70-200mm f2.8 on an Astrotrac and I've got some amazing images. It will carry a 400mm f2.8, but I have used a 300mm f2.8 on mine with no problem.

The Astrotrac is not cheap though £540 with polar scope + you will also need a decent tripod with a geared head & a ball head. It's possible that the cheaper option, the Vixen Polarie, could also be suitable, although not for as much weight.

I had a look at the Polarie at Widescreen Centre a day or two ago. Looked very interesting. I do some macro photography so I already have a decent tripod and ball-head. (Gitzo/Acratech) hence it'd just be a matter of picking up e.g. a Manfrotto geared head.

I'd never want to be without a smallish refractor for grabbing a quick fix of starlight and the fact that they can give ultra wide fields from short focal lengths is a bonus. Good on the birds, too, and as a powerful tele lens.

A 4 inch Apo is very nice even if you have much bigger toys to play with...

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

Archived