Narrowband

Thinking of giving up :(

Spec-Chum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't give up-a clear night or two and you will in a much better humour. I understand the feeling of not using your pride and joy as often as you want but Qualia makes the good point to get interested in the accompanying aspects of the hobby to help fill in the rainy/cloudy/snowy/foggy nights. I note you have some bins, these are great for these times-little or no setting up involved and the sights are spectacular even in between the clouds. Keep on in there Spec-Chum, we really are all in it together.

Cheers,

Steve

P.S. I missed off any reference to beer.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, had a cracking night on Wednesday concentrating on Leo and Virgo.

I saw blobby things, round things and glowy things. No idea which NGC they were, I did look at my Star Atlas but just references lots of red dots lol

Not selling yet then…

:)

i've often thought it would be better for a few people who could all trust each other to share the cost of a scope between them then sharing the scope on a rota basis or all getting together when the skies are clear,or both . somebody must have tried it by now.

I've been out nearly 7 nights on the trot I think now, losing track because of lack of sleep :)

Kind of hoping it might be a bit cloudy tonight :s

:D

Funny you should say that. I've had about five nights on the trot. I get home completely cream crackered, see a clear sky and have to drag myself out to set everything up. Thing is, once I'm out there I have to drag myself back in again and can't wait to carry on the next night.

As it's the weekend I've decided to either stay up or get up to see Saturn. Looks like another clear night. I'd better go and set up. Just have a quick kip :p

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

I've got my 'scope out really on the off chance that auntie beeb might have got it right for a change.

Fat Chance!

The clouds may, or may not have cleared, I can't tell as the upper atmosphere condition are just perfect for making big fat contrails which then spread out over the sky :mad:

I hate bloomin' London and even more do I hate Heathrow (I travel to work on the Piccadilly line and regularly have to fight for space with mutter mutter mutter tourists) and its flight paths.

Even given up a club night (OK it was only a quiz night) to have another go at the Leo Triplet. Aargh :mad: !

I look at this way - the money is already spent so, unless you need it for something else, then just keep it all and use it when you can. There is one thing you can be certain of, you will immediately regret getting rid of it all. Though having said that I must admit to having downsized to the absolute minimum!

I brought my kit in about 9.45. Been watching the news. Now re-watching a recording of John Elliot Gardener's program on Bach.

I'll give it another go tomorrow which looks like the last clear window for a while.

Well, had a cracking night on Wednesday concentrating on Leo and Virgo.

I saw blobby things, round things and glowy things. No idea which NGC they were, I did look at my Star Atlas but just references lots of red dots lol

Not selling yet then…

:)

nice one spec chub chin up mate

I am really struggling to understand why some people find it so difficult to get out. When this thread started on 16 March I had been out 14 times since new year, better than once per week. With the run of good weather we have just had this total is now up to 22. These range from a quick hour long session in the street outside my home, to a 12 hour marathon at a dark site. I manage this despite living in the middle of a city, not having a usable garden, managing a home, family and job.

Please don't think I am having a go at anyone, because I know everyone's circumstances are different and everyone has different priorities.

It seems to me that it is a matter of attitude. I know a few people who seem to look for reasons not to get out and as a result have missed out on some brilliant nights. Just this weekend a group of friends failed to get out on Saturday because it looked a bit cloudy. I went out, just for a couple of hours, and managed to get a nice image of M81/82 as they were high up where the sky was clearest. What was really sad was that the same people didn't even consider going out on Friday night, when I managed a 6 hour session in crystal clear conditions ata dark site and only came in when the cold got too much for both me and every piece of battery powered equipment.

What I feel is needed is a positive attitude. Don't concentrate on the negatives. We will hardly ever get perfect conditions, so make the best of what's available. If it's windy then have a visual session rather than imaging. If it's a bit misty then concentrate on brighter targets rather than feint fuzzies. If there's a full moon then look at doubles, or maybe even the moon. If all you can do is setup for an hour in the street under a streetlight then do it - I do, it's better than nothing.

I managed to spot M81 & 82 this week. First time I've ever seen them & I didn't realise how much deep space stuff you could see like that, especially as I'm in LP hell Blackpool. Being overhead helps, although shielding your eyes from glare is a must.

shielding your eyes from glare is a must.

The many streetlights in my street are the biggest obstacle to observing from home. Flocking my scope tube and making some big dew shields, for the scope and finder, helped here. I have an oversized hoodie which also helps as I can pull it right over my head, but I must look a bit odd to the neighbours. I am also working on the art of holding up a star atlas, whilst at the eyepiece, to block out any particularly annoying streetlight.

Being a Ford mechanic, I have had my ups and downs financially and have needed money to pay pressing bills. I have found a trick to help me get through these times. The trade up! The ups and downs of the automobile industry means highs and lows in income so If money is needed, I sell a scope or camera with the full intent of buying something better when funds allow. So far, it has worked out and have completely upgraded most all of my equipment three times! Hang in there if you can, but don't let it get you down if you do have to liquidate for now.

Well SC after me saying i have packed up i am now back,thanks to my daughters and am reallly enjoying the new set up.

Much easier for me to set up now than the previous set up,which i think did have some affect on me getting out and setting up,so has said SC hang on in there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just thought I'd let you all know I'm still around and still alive. I think.

Not had much time to stargaze recently but I still look forward to when I can. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Did you get out last night for the perseids meteor shower? I was at the other side of the village and got some cracking views of M51, M27, M57 and M31 & M32.

I'm glad you decided not to give up! I started astronomy as a hobby a little more than three years ago and for a number of reasons I managed to take the gear out very rarely. Among other things, my new house's garden is not very telescope friendly but I'm working on it. Although I feel a bit disappointed because the immense financial commitment, I realised that for me astronomy is a 'slow burning' hobby definitely set for the long run. If I'm lucky to get to retirement I'll be on it full time.

Right now if I'm not able to take the scope out I keep myself busy with other hobbies (I'm a real gadget freak) or just by logging on here and cloudynights. So in essence If not with my actions astronomy is in my thoughts all the time and that is what I think it matters. All the best.

The most frustrating yet rewarding hobby!! I managed to get my gear out for the first time in months a couple of nights ago, got up and guiding, just about to do my imaging run.........yep! CLOUDS!!!!! AAArrrggghhh!!!! Until next time starry sky, until next time!!! :)post-15055-0-88819900-1376755839_thumb.j Check out my other enemy, Mr Street light!! I usually lift up and chock the fence as a light shield but didn't bother as cumulonimbus decided to join the party!!

I'm on vacation in Africa for the past 2 weeks...and I haven't seen a single cloud since I've left the UK....SERIOUSLY..!!

We must have some sort of preferrential treatment to go on about this hobby with the weather we have back home!!

I suppose scopes/setups etc should be HALF PRICE in the UK!!!

:evil:

Archived