Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thinking of giving up :(

Spec-Chum

I think I've managed to use my scope 3 times since the new year and I'm starting to think it's not worth the money I've put into it. I love it when I'm actually out there but getting to use it once a month is making me lose my enthusiasm quickly :(

Has anyone else gone through this kind of downer? How did you get through it?

I've worked out I should get about £450 for all my gear and at the moment that's looking very tempting.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've seen loads of threads along these lines over the last twelve months :(

I think finding another (perhaps complementary) hobby for the cloudy/rainy times is the only way forward.

James

I was in a bit of a down mood myself, I get to observe once a month, and usually not for very long. Fortunately, just talking astronomy with other like minded people yesterday was enough, being out in the middle of nowhere discussing astronomy, hoping the clouds will clear.

Stay strong :)

You can guarantee as soon as you sell up there will be a run of clear nights, also to get your stuff back will cost a lot more than the £450 you reckon you will get.

Hang on in there, the sky isn't going anywhere mate.

Mm...pretty much everybody's complain around here :) I think I've gone through this several times since last year. I guarantee if you get a decent session you'll throw all this frustration behind your back. As always, a good session is likely to gear you up for some time to come.

My advice would be to not pack this lark in, there is just so much to learn and it doesn't have to be all about stargazing.

I think astronomy kind of begins with gazing but certainly doesn't stop there. On bad nights you could read or swot up on astro-related things like star formations, supernova, structures of atoms and how elements and compounds are formed etc. You could try yopur hand at sketching, learn a little more physics, help an enquiry here at SGL etc.

Nevertheless, if the flame of interest has really fluttered out, or you are desiring to do other things with your time, then letting go of something doesn't mean giving up, it just means moving on. However, if your interest in the night sky still burns, then it makes good sense to follow its own pace. There's really no hurry; the stars and galaxies are going nowhere fast and it pays to adopt their own rhythm and pace. A clear night has no measure if it weren't for clouds, a sense of joy and wonder would have no meaning if they weren't balanced with a touch of sadness and frustration. How could it be otherwise?

When things go wrong as they sometimes will,

When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,

When the funds are low and the debts are high

And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,

When care is pressing you down a bit,

Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,

As every one of us sometimes learns,

And many a failure turns about

When he might have won had he stuck it out;

Don't give up though the pace seems slow--

You may succeed with another blow,

Success is failure turned inside out--

The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,

And you never can tell how close you are,

It may be near when it seems so far;

So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--

It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

We all have this, what I have done is to compliment my observatory is to tack a hobby room on the back so that I can combine with the astronomy. Beside, I only got my attic observatory by hoodwinking SWMBO that I would get on with the house DIY but that can only last so long and I have plenty to do in the house. Don't despair, it will all come together in the end, clear skies are ahead and you will look back on the down as a little hiccup in the stream of life :)

Jim

Well.. maybe you can practice astronomy theoretical too, when there is no observing? calculate things and read things.. maybe study the weather as a complementary hobby?

Oh, I'm not on about quitting astronomy completely, I'm always reading or watching something on the TV about it. My passion for the cosmos and all it's Jewels's is still strong it's just that I'm not well off by any means and can't help thinking for the use this stuff gets the money could be put to better use elsewhere.

The money's spent already, unless you need the money badly hold onto the kit.

I went away from astronomy for a long time, not due to loss of interest but with marriage and a family of 3 I didn't have the money or time. I came back to it and now really enjoy the times that I can do it.

It has been really poor this year but weather's like that.

Don't make astronomy your only hobby but make the most of the times that you can get out there, there's nothing like it!

Simon

Well.. maybe you can practice astronomy theoretical too, when there is no observing? calculate things and read things.. maybe study the weather as a complementary hobby?

Studying the weather would be dead easy! Clouds, clouds and more clouds!

Phil

Hi SpecChum.

I think you and i got our Dobs near enough the same time and i was getting out once twice even three times in one week observing on a regular basis.

But i sold my Dob back in September 2012,and went the GOTO route and a new 8" SW pds scope,i was getting a decent set of EPs together and other bits of kit,but since doing that i only used the new set up realistically once in all that time.

I no longer drive so was fortunate to get to know another forum member who was kindly willing to come and pick me up when the skies were clear and we had some good nights out.

But because of the weather lately i was losing interest and was thinking of selling up.

Other things have changed for me now,for which sort of forced me into selling up all my gear,but it was very very frustrating waiting for a clear night to come along.

Last time i set up,just before Xmas, i came in for five minutes for a cuppa went back out and it was thick cloud,so that then sort of decided for me also that i had had enough.

I have still got my bins and a decent camera/tripod and managed to get out on Tuesday night in the back garden as the sky was beautiful and clear,and i got some nice images.

So that will do for me now as i do like photography and taking images of the night sky.

Hi SpecChum.

I think you and i got our Dobs near enough the same time and i was getting out once twice even three times in one week observing on a regular basis.

But i sold my Dob back in September 2012,and went the GOTO route and a new 8" SW pds scope,i was getting a decent set of EPs together and other bits of kit,but since doing that i only used the new set up realistically once in all that time.

I no longer drive so was fortunate to get to know another forum member who was kindly willing to come and pick me up when the skies were clear and we had some good nights out.

But because of the weather lately i was losing interest and was thinking of selling up.

Other things have changed for me now,for which sort of forced me into selling up all my gear,but it was very very frustrating waiting for a clear night to come along.

Last time i set up,just before Xmas, i came in for five minutes for a cuppa went back out and it was thick cloud,so that then sort of decided for me also that i had had enough.

I have still got my bins and a decent camera/tripod and managed to get out on Tuesday night in the back garden as the sky was beautiful and clear,and i got some nice images.

So that will do for me now as i do like photography and taking images of the night sky.

Yeah pretty much buddy, I got mine in June 2012.

here's my 2p...

I get frustrated by the weather as much as the next man but after all the hours and money spent so far, I just don't see giving up as an option.

I know we're all different and have different views on things but it can't stay cloudy forever ,(can it?) And the day you sell up will be followed by weeks of fantastic seeing and transparency :D

Stay strong and wait for the clear skies!

I suppose as an idea you could have an equipment clear out / reshuffle...

bung the stuff you don't use on eBay and scout abs for a bigger / better scope :D

That would pass the time away...

I thought about how to solve this cloud problem... I love all the messiers, asteroids and planets... Planets... Seen nearly all of them, checked the list, Pluto and Uranus to be ticked off. Still one short... Earth!

So while it's cloudy I check out this big chunk of rock.

Archived